Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post to the forums- I've gotten 3 or 4 tech tips from here before, but i can't find any answers to my problem this time, so here I go.

My system is a Mainboard with an Athlon XP 1.6 Ghz, a Geforce 4 Ti 4200, a 9.0 gig hard drive and a 60 gig hard drive.

This has been happening for the past couple days or so. I just was having a problem with my computer locking up, but i replaced the memory(the fool who set up my computer had put PC-100 in the DDR slot, making it run at twice the speed its supposed to), and it worked fine. Then, May 15 rolls around and i go see The Matrix, and buy the game. First time i play it, for some reason the whole BIOS gets erased, so i had to go around back into bios and change everything to the settings i had. There was no reason i could find for this to happen- i did scandisk and ran a virus scan, nothing. one day later, i get on to my computer, try to load up AIM and check my e-mail, and the screen gets distorted and the monitor keeps turning on and off. I have the latest drivers for my video card. For a minute, the monitor just turned on and off then returned to windows, but it then freaked out and rebooted, freezing at the screen that shows up when you first turn the computer on(which usually you dont see because your monitor is still turning on), with the monitor still flickering on and off.

I'd tried a couple things, i made sure the memory was in the right way, i looked at my video card, i even switched my monitor out with another one, and it still did the same thing. I know it wasn't the monitor's problem because i plugged it into my laptop(thats what im using right now) and it works fine. The monitor plugs directly into the GeForce 4.

While writing this, i got to thinking that it may be a faulty power source, and just switched a monitor cord out with another one. Same problem :-O!

I sure hope it isn't the card, that was a 120 dollar card and i cant afford another right now.( i could sell it on ebay though.... not really).

If anyone could help, i'd be indebted to you forever.

I am running Windows 2000.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the same problem with my Geforce 4MX and the machine just keep rebooting. The screen flickers at first and then the there are some lines on the screen just before the reboot.

What is this?

Is it a worm? Is it a virus?

I searched all over internet but I found no cure for my PC.

Please help me

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to Tech Support Forums ShuChoMouff & BDT.....:winkgrin:

First thing I would do would be to try another video card just to verify that that is whats creating your problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
blah...

I have had this problem just recently, and i have replaced the memory, the motherboard, the processor, added a new fan, and still it doesn't work. I am busy right now but when i get home i will take out the video card and see if it works with the onboard one. What would be my best solution if the video card IS the problem?:confused:

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
ShuChoMouff said:
I just was having a problem with my computer locking up, but i replaced the memory(the fool who set up my computer had put PC-100 in the DDR slot, making it run at twice the speed its supposed to), and it worked fine.
Well, first off, SDRAM (PC-100, PC-133, etc.) has a different pin arrangement than DDR, and it won't even fit the DDR slot, and it sure won't work there! I don't know what was going on with the memory, but it sure wasn't in the wrong slot!

On to the real problem.

I'd uninstall the drivers, and obtain the latest version and install them.

If all else fails, I'd consider swapping the card out for a cheap video card, just to make sure that everything else runs properly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Small Problem

johnwill said:
Well, first off, SDRAM (PC-100, PC-133, etc.) has a different pin arrangement than DDR, and it won't even fit the DDR slot, and it sure won't work there! I don't know what was going on with the memory, but it sure wasn't in the wrong slot!

On to the real problem.

I'd uninstall the drivers, and obtain the latest version and install them.

If all else fails, I'd consider swapping the card out for a cheap video card, just to make sure that everything else runs properly.
I'm going to install a cheap video card today and see what happens. It turns out that the SDRAM was actually in it's own slot, its just something happened to make it not work any more.

I would uninstall the drivers, but i am having trouble getting.... onto my computer. Something happened and now it won't even start. Noone i know knows what might be going on. It's totally pissing me off- i just bought Enter The Matrix for PC and I haven't been able to play it. Oh well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fixed Problem

I fixed the problem- it seems that both my memory and my power supply were corrupt. I have had this problem fixed for about 2 weeks and havent gotten around to replying to this forum until now. Thanks for everyone who helped me. i haven't had any problems since then that were hardware related(stupid Win2000 isnt compatible with half my games... lmao)!:D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Windows 2000 needs service pack 1 or 2 (I think) to run games. I had this problem with 2000Pro but the SP solved it. I no longer have any problems running any games software. Make sure you got DX8.1 or higher as well.

XP sucks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.