Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently got a copy of GTA Vice City and installed it onto my computer but when it was installing the direct x drivers, it froze my computer a few times, causing this weird slight wheezing noise in my computer but I have no idea where. Well, nevermind that, the problem is when i try to play Vicy City, when i click the icon to launch the game, it gives me the following error:

GTA-VC.exe - Bad Image
The Application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\System32\d3d8thk.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

I figured it was my Direct X drivers since it said it required Direct X 9.0 to play, i did just that and it still came up with the same error. I even downloaded the latest drivers for my GeForce 2 MX400 64 MB and it still didn't work. I then opened up the dxdiag and when it starts up, it gives me the error:

dxdiag.exe - Bad Image
The Application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\System32\d3d8thk.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

and the error:

GTA-VC.exe - Bad Image
The Application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\System32\dpnet.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

Once opened, I looked under the DirectX Files tab and in the notes, it said:

- Several files (d8d8thk.dll, dpnet.dll, dpnaddr.dll, etc.) are old versions, which could cause problems.
-You should reinstall Direct X to get the latest version

But I already installed the latest version, Direct X 9.0b from microsoft.com Plus i noticed that there were a few dll files that had exclamation points next to it, probably notifying that it has a problem. Is it my video card because it dosen't support Direct X 9.0? I doubt it because my friend has the same video card and it worked on his comp. But now the situation has gotten worse, all my games don't work now, all comeing up with the same or similar dll problem when i open the games. What happened?!??! The computer I'm using it on was just built 2 weeks ago with the specs:

Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz w/533 FSB
ECS L4VXA2 Mobo
512 MB DDR PC2700 RAM
120 GIG HD
40 GIG HD
52X CDROM
52X24X52 CDRW
350 Watt Case
GeForce 2 MX400 64 MB

There were none of these problems before i installed vice city, so could i be the game adding dll files onto my OS? Please help me, thanks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.