Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone,
I'm having an odd problem with Gainward's Ti 4200 card.
Up until recently, this card has been in my old computer (pentium 1.6, 512 sdram, etc.) and was functioning perfectly. I overclocked it's frequencies a little thru Xpert tool and everything worked fine.
The problems started when I bought a new system (with Asus P4C800 Deluxe motherboard, 2x512 TwinMos DDR, P4 3.0 800, etc.) and installed it here. It was doing fine for a day or so, 3D Mark 2001 gave it 13000 pts in default settings (for comparison, it scored around 7500 on my old computer).
Then i overclocked it in Xpert a bit, and ran 3D Mark again to see the difference with new settings, when suddenly the screen froze. When i rebooted i tried to run 3D Mark with card's "safe" settings, but it crashed again. I shut the computer down and cold booted after 20 mins - everything worked fine, so i ran 3D Mark again in safe mode, but this time it only scored around 10000 pts. After a couple of hours of playing Colin McRae 3, the screen froze again.

I suspect that the card has started to overheat. I dont see how is that possible, since it worked fine with the same settings on my old computer. Now i get the feeling the card has lost some of its performace even when cold booted, when it should function normally.
My questions are - are these normal symptoms of an overheating card? If so, how come it started overheating so suddenly? Is it possible that the motherboard has something to do with this? (P4C800 has given me nothing but problems since i bought it)
Is it possible that i somehow permanently damaged the card?

Please help me - at the moment the card crashes every now and then whenever i'm running any graphically demanding application (like Colin Mcrae 3, Mafia or 3D Mark 2001 0r 2003), although it is in safe mode.
I'll be happy to answer any follow up questions...

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Hello pingvin, whats going on ?
Yes, those are typical symptoms of overheating hardware in general ; your games will freeze off and on, you start getting errors and then you will need to reboot . You also said that you got a new system, so I would expect your video card to behave differently. If you think that your PC is overheating, or just your video card, take the cover off your box and let it run without the cover for a while and see if it freezes. And general rule with overclocking is that you can always expect something to go bad.

Take care :D

·
Registered
376 Posts
It sounds as though some damage was done. I wouldn't use a third-party overclocker since the nvidia drivers have overclocking built-in if you unlock that feature. I've had no problems with overclocking by using the nvidia drivers.

Out of curiosity, which version nvidia drivers are you using?

In case you're wondering, the nvidia drivers unlocking patch is available here, listed as "nvidia coolbits":
http://www.nvmax.com/downloads/

·
Registered
45 Posts
My video card the fx 5200 pci model had a similar problem.
On my old motherboard with a celeron 2.0 it ran fine and I could even overclock it a little. This gave no benefit though. On my new motherboard the p4p800-vm with a 2.4c pentium 4 it was overheating a little in default settings. Heres the thing, the new CPU is faster than the the card so the card is able to push at its very limit now.Even slightly overclocking the card makes a big performance boost now because the card is the bottleneck to my speed.Before the card was not allowed to fully perform since the cpu was slowing it down.
what I did to fix it was this,
I took the fan-heat sink off and cleaned off the white paste and used silver thermal compund between the gpu and heat sink. then reinstalled the fan. then I rearrange the card to be on top of my pci stack with a fan above it on the back of the case drawing air acroiss the back of the card.Also I added a pci case fan that mounts into a pci slot and put that two slots below the card with a half-pci tv card between,
The pci mount fan draws air down and the fx5200 fan draws air up so the tv card block the two from counteracting eachother. It works really well at the moment and solved the overheating problem and I can even overclock its *** off now. =D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.