Tech Support Forum banner

Gateway NEW90 Won't Power On

3550 Views 13 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Kilo927
Hello! I have a Gateway NEW90 laptop and it will not power on at all. There are no fans and there is nothing on the screen. When the power button is pressed when there is no power cable, only the battery, connected nothing happens at all. When the power cable is connected the battery light on the front is solid orange and the when the power button is pressed it flashes once. If left to charge, after about five minutes the battery light begins to flash and is still orange. When the function and escape keys are held while pressing the power button, which is supposed to reset the BIOS, all of the lights flash very briefly and then only the orange battery light is solid. Could a new battery solve my problems? Or is the motherboard bad?
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 14 Posts

Perform the following steps:
-Remove the battery and Power adapter
-Press and hold the power button for 30-45 seconds (with battery and power still removed)
-Insert just the battery and attempt to boot the laptop.
-Insert just the power adapter and attempt to boot the laptop.

Is still unable to boot test the power adapter and make sure that the output voltage is correct.
I have tried this many times as well as a few other chargers. Nothing has worked so far. Now that I think about it the charging port broke away from the board and I had to glue it back down. I will have to check to see if it is shorting out. Also I have discovered that the battery light blinking orange is an indication that the battery is malfunctioning.
With the battery removed the laptop should still boot.

I would definitely start by checking the DC Jack.

Also can you check the sticker underneath and see if there is a model number there (Example: NV59C66U)
I'm opening it now and the model number is NV59C63u.
I have it completely disassembled and have looked at the plug but now I do not know what to do now. Any suggestions? Is there any way to check and see if the motherboard is bad? Perhaps it is dead?
Yes the plug is glued on the case and there is a wire that connects to the board. I will go get my multimeter and will post results.
I'm not quite sure how to check the voltage as the connector is very small.
I was able to take the voltage off the board by connecting it. It was around 18.6 volts.
I have come to the conclusion that the motherboard is most likely bad. Is it worth replacing it?
Thanks for your help. I will look into a new motherboard.
1 - 9 of 14 Posts
Not open for further replies.