Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a relatively new (only 4 months old) Gateway M320X notebook with all of the exact specifications listed here. I'm using Windows XP as my operating system. (If you need any more relevant information feel free to ask).

Three weeks ago, I noticed the hard drive of my laptop making nasty whirring sounds (two tech savvy friends confirmed that indeed it is the hard drive). The next day, my computer would randomly crash and go to what we lovingly call the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). Here are the important bits of the message which appeared..
----------------------------------

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

Technical Information:
*** STOP 0x0000007A (0xCo3DDEBC, 0xC000000E, 0xF77AF384, 0x19FC4860)
*** atapi.sys - Address F77AF384 base at F77A2000, Datestamp 41107b4d
Beginning dump of physical memory
-----------------------------------

Occasionally when trying to reboot from the blue screen, I received a black screen with the following information on it.
(This is mostly correct - the only discrepancy is that a few of the I's might be 1's or vice versa - they should be mostly as written though)
--------------------------

For Realtek RTL8139(X)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller V2.13 (020326)

CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 03 25 1C A8 41
GUID: 00C6A29D - ID89 - 0010 - ACE2

PXE-E53: No boot filename received.

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM

No Operating System Found
----------------------------------------

My hard drive continued to make whirring/grinding noises while these error messages occured. Between receiving these messages I would be able to start up Windows XP and run IE for at least 30 minutes before it would crash again. During this time, the hard drive would stop makng the noise, but when I tapped on the lower right corner of my computer (above where the hard drive is stored) it would make the same noise for about 5 seconds or so.

It happened for about 2 days, then I was problem free until yesterday when the exact same thing happened. It has continued today and when I took it into our local tech people, the guy was only able to tell me that there was a hard drive problem, but not what the problem might be.

If anybody has any ideas, your help would be greatly appreciated. Between tech support and my computer savvy friends, all we've been able to deduce is that there is "a problem" with the hard drive. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
The only thing I could suggest is to find out what make the drive is. (You should be able to get this info from the BIOS). Download the drive manufacturers disk utility and run a diagnostics against the drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay the BIOS Version/Date is Phoenix 53.01.02 10/7/2004

Can you tell me where I might download the disk utility you suggested? I've searched on Google and was unable to find anything helpful, quite probably because I don't know exactly what it is I'm searching for.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Well what I meant was you can look in the BIOS. The BIOS will list the model and posibly the manufacturer of the drive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.