Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on Facebook when a blue screen of death showed up, so i restarted my laptop. After i restarted it went to the screen where it asks if you want to start windows normally or you can choose safe mode, i pressed Enter on normal. But then it froze there so i restarted again but this time the screen was all black like the monitor was off, but it wasn't because on the bottom it had the blue light indicating it was on. Also i haven't installed any new hard drives or anything like that. So far all i tried was take the battery out and hold the power for 30-60 sec. Unless i did it wrong because i took out the rechargeable ion battery, hold for 30-60 sec, plugged in the ac adapter turned it on without battery ( still black screen ), put in battery turned on but still balck screen.

My Gateway laptop is model W340UA, Windows Vista

·
Registered
12,437 Posts
Looks like a bad video card/chip or motherboard.

Try this:
  1. Power OFF the computer
  2. Remove the battery
  3. Unplug AC
  4. Remove the RAM
  5. Remove the CMOS battery
  6. Press and hold Power ON button for 30 secs. at least
  7. Put back the RAM and the CMOS battery
  8. Put back the battery
  9. Plug back AC
  10. Power ON as normal

If that does not help, remove the hard drive and just boot into BIOS setup.

·
Registered
12,437 Posts
Obviously whether it boots into BIOS setup or not, you would not see a thing if the cause is a bad video controller (video card or motherboard).

The steps were suggested just in case (if it works) you will get something on the screen (LCD or external monitor) but if not then you may need to consider video card or motherboard replacement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok i took apart my laptop and i checked the CMOS with one of those battery checker things and it was in the low red section, could this be one of the factors of the problem?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.