Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
About a 2 weeks ago my computer was working fine. I shut it down to go to sleep and the next morning it would turn on, go to windows and when I loged on it would get a funky screen on it and eventually freez. After calling Tech support the problem persisted and finaly got to the point where the computer would have lights blink, then fan would spin and that was all. They told me to replace the motherboard as they thought it was a videocard problem and these video cards are integrated into the mobo.
I received the motherboard today and after a 1 hr instilation went to turn on the computer. NOTHING.... Absolutely nothing, no sounds lights fans nothing. I tried a Harware reset to no avail. I am currently seeing an orange light in the front indicating that when it is plugged in it is charging the battery. I tried turning it on with out the battery and just the wall outlet but that is the same NOTHING>

CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE????? :4-dontkno :4-dontkno

·
Registered
1 Posts
gateway 450sx4

I have been dealing with the same issue. My problem started with garbled/corrupted video. The left hinge was very loose. So, I took it apart to tighten up the hinges. When I put it back together, it would not power up. Only the battery charge light was lit. After fooling around with it and taking it back apart, I apparently accidentally hit the power cord and saw a light flash on the laptop. I disconnected the cord, cleaned the DC connector on the back of the laptop and tried to boot again and it powered right up.

Try cleaning both the connector from the PS and the connector on the back of the laptop. Other articles I found discussed that they had to replace the DC connector on the motherboard because they were cracked from stress.

If anyone could help me resolve my garbled video problem, I would appreciate it. The video works fine for awhile, then after it warms up, if you bump the machine or flex tthe lcd display, the image on screen becomes il-legible and eventulally turns into like a test pattern. At that point you can only power off and back on. I suspect on-board video or video cable from motherboard to lcd.

·
Registered
1 Posts
RE: "The video works fine for awhile, then after it warms up, if you bump the machine or flex tthe lcd display, the image on screen becomes il-legible and eventually turns into like a test pattern. At that point you can only power off and back on."

I had exactly the same problem with my Gateway 450sx4 and it drove me nuts. Finally, I noticed that bumping the heat dissipator to the right of the CPU and below the modem causes the display to get garbled, until you reset the computer. Pressure on the cover for the power board can cause the problem, too, since it touches that heat dissipator.

Below the touchy heat dissipator is a copper heat sink (for the graphics chip, I assume?). I adjusted the heat dissipator and pressed the dissipator firmly against the copper heat sink, and that seems to solve the problem (at least for a while). I think that heat eventually degrades the (metallic?) adhesive between the heat dissipator and the copper heat sink, affecting the electrical contact.

I'm not sure how to best rejuvinate the contact between the heat dissipator and the copper heat sink (for a more permanent solution). If anyone is familiar with this type of problem and has suggestions, I'd appreciate them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Try thermal paste... PC's use thermal paste betwenn the CPU, chipsets etc and the heatsinks.... Although it isnt a dedicated adhesive (and PC's heatsinks usually have bolts securing it), it is pretty sticky stuff, so if the heatsink is even marginally supported it should hold as long you dont throw it about the room.

Any half decent computer shop should stock it and its cheap stuff, not gonna break ur bank account.

Worth a try rather than buying new hardware...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a first time poster having just found this forum.

First, please accept my apologies for resurrecting such an old thread but...

This is about the only useful info I have found on this problem. I am recently experiencing this exact issue with my 450sx4. I know it is an out of date/old machine, but it is a work laptop and they won't replace it. I am forced to try and repair it. I am not an expert but I am quite skilled. I have had this machine apart and have tried the suggestions outlined here to no avail. The laptop boots fine but will eventually display this "test pattern" type video (even on an external monitor). Sometimes all by itself, but always if pressure is applied to the case or any movement or twisting of the case. I'm assuming the mobo, but if I order a new one (company will pay) and that doesn't fix it I'm toast. :)

Anyway, my question remains....Has anyone actually resolved this problem?????

Thanks in advance, and again, I apologize for bumping such an old thread.

·
Registered
12,437 Posts

This is about the only useful info I have found on this problem. I am recently experiencing this exact issue with my 450sx4. I know it is an out of date/old machine, but it is a work laptop and they won't replace it. I am forced to try and repair it. I am not an expert but I am quite skilled. I have had this machine apart and have tried the suggestions outlined here to no avail. The laptop boots fine but will eventually display this "test pattern" type video (even on an external monitor). Sometimes all by itself, but always if pressure is applied to the case or any movement or twisting of the case. I'm assuming the mobo, but if I order a new one (company will pay) and that doesn't fix it I'm toast. :)

Hi Drahcir,

Please help us keep the forum organized by starting a new thread. If your problem is related to an old thread, just make a reference link to that thread.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have the same problem. Was told it was chip on the mb. Got mb from e-bay replced but now it will boot BUT have to tap on the left side if case left of touch pad to get it to boot. It is better then the vid problem. Thinking about getting another MB from e bay to try again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.