Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not even sure what to call this problem and I've never seen it anywhere else.

I've got 3 Western Digital hard drives, two 80gb and one 200gb. For some reason, whenever I copy a WAV or AVI file to my 200gb drive, it plays back digital garbage. These files play without any problems on the other drives. I initially thought this was a broken drive and got it replaced, but that didn't change anything. Then I thought maybe my power supply was croaking and the data was being garbled during the transfer, but replacing that with a more powerful one didn't seem to work either. I've noticed that MP3's and MPEG's don't seem to have any issues playing back, and I can even play back an AVI if it's contained within in a ZIP file. More confusing, I've just noticed that if I copy a garbled file from the 200gb BACK to the 80gb, it will play just fine!

Why can't my 200gb hard drive play AVI or WAV files?

Thanks to anyone who might know what is going on here...

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
I've never seen that before. Have you tried scandisk and defrag?

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
What about the IDE cables? Are they all intact? They probably would have been the cheapest option as a first guess...

And what happens if you transfer a wave file, then transfer it back? Does it garble on the known working hard drive? If not, I wouldn't even bother checking the cable, because it's something else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fox said:
What about the IDE cables? Are they all intact? They probably would have been the cheapest option as a first guess...
Oh yes, I had forgotten to mention that I did replace the IDE cable with a new one. It even glows in the dark which is great because I need my IDE cable to glow in the dark.

Fox said:
And what happens if you transfer a wave file, then transfer it back? Does it garble on the known working hard drive? If not, I wouldn't even bother checking the cable, because it's something else.
No, it plays just fine... it seems my problem is only playing .wav or .avi directly off the problematic drive. There's an obvious workaround for this issue, but that'll be inconvenient as I want to use this as a media storage drive (hence the large size). And on top of that... this is just plain weird.

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.