Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know where else to post this, but.. I play Rainbow Six online on Gamespy Arcade. I just move dup from dial-up to wireless cable. And since I'm at 11mbps on average everyone I play against warps because i'm droping packets, or at least I was told that. Does anyone know a way to stop this? It's really irritating.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
The only thing I could imagine that would help you would be to either get a better wireless transmitter or to plug it directly into your router. CAT-5 cable is pretty cheap these days so if it's a question of distance, you'll just have to get a long wire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's another thing. I can't host any games on there. I disabled my firewall. And when I called tech support at my ISp they said I had a router, but I don't see one. Know a way to find out if I do and what kind?

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Your router will be the thing with the antennas on it.

In order to host a game, you will need to set up port-forwarding on the router so that the router knows that incoming requests for the port that your games use should be sent to your computer and not any other that might be on the network. Even if your computer is the only one, you will still need to do this because the router was designed with multiple computers in mind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well...I have no router then. I only have an adapter that sends a signal to the main machine in the house, which only has a modem, no router either. When I try and host a game it says my internal and external IPs are different so I can't host. And it may be caused by NAT proxies, firewalls, or other unsual network configurations. I don't know what 'NAT proxy' is. But I know I disable the XP and ISP firewall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.