Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i bought a pc game and checked everything on the sys requirements but the video card requirements. got it installed and it needs more display memory. is this something i can get from a different video card? if so, which one? i need something for a low profile case and the requirements for this particular game says ATI Radeon 8500 or greater or NVIDIA GeForce 3 or greater. Suggestions? (other than paying attention next time) oh yeat, its an agp expansion slot.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Hi v8r,

What video card do you currently have? I am assuming you are using an integrated card. It might be able to handle it. But if you want to get more FPS and better graphics, you should look into a dedicated card. What is your budget?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the card that is in the computer is an ATI 128 ultra. i'm not sure what you mean by integrated and dedicated. i would like to keep it less than $150, but am willing to go higher if it's necessary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2 things - 1. will i be able to fit it in a low profile case? 2. the monitor is VGA output and from the pictures and description it looks like it needs to be DVI.

i was given this computer for christmas and am trying to make it play some good games. it has decent speed and memory ( 1.6G and 256 ), but it seems like the video quality blows. i may be able to return or exchange the monitor if i really need to, but i'd rather not. thanks a lot for your help.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
You will be able to use it, as it comes with DVI to VGA adapters. What are your other specs? Depending on what CPU you have, a 7600GT might be too much for your processor, and it might be a bottleneck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok the processor is intel pent 4, 1.8 G 256 sys memory, 67.7 available memory, the display device is 16MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra. Local display memory is 32.0, non-local is 15.5. anything else?

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
I think you won't be getting much out of a 1.8 GHz Pentium 4. I would be looking at a Radeon 9600XT or a 9800Pro instead as a 7600GT will be a waste of money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102043
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131213

You should also considder upgrading your RAM to at least 512 MB, or 1 GB if possible. What speed RAM does that computer take? You can look on the RAM sticks or download Everest and post what it says under Motherboard > SPD.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.