Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

First post on these forums, and I hope I'm posting in the correct one. :smile:

My PC is home built. Earlier this year I upgraded the CPU, Mobo, video card, and memory, but only 512mb. I recently upgraded to 1GB by adding an identical stick (same type, and same manufactuer) of 512mb. Prior to adding the 2nd stick of 512mb, my games ran nearly flawlessly. After upgrading to 1GB, one game (NASCAR Racing 2003) gets slow/choppy at times, another (MSFS 2004) will freeze completey necessitating a reboot of the PC, and yet another (BF2) runs fine for the most part except every now and then it will suddenly crash/exit to the desktop. All other non-gaming programs run great.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this and how I might remedy the problem?

Thanks,
Jon

PC Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.2 GHz
Asus K8V Deluxe VIA Socket 754 ATX mobo
Corsair 1024 MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz
eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800 AGP 8x 128MB DDR
Creative SoundBlaster 512 PCI
Maxtor 40GB HD (C: drive)
Western Digital 80 GB HD
Atec 350w Power Supply
WinXP w/ SP2

·
Registered
462 Posts
send back that second stick of ram and get a new 1, sounds like a bit of faulty ram

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
remove the new stick of ram .. if there is a slot open next to it, try it in there.

if you remove the new one completely, does it run better?

post back

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I moved the stick to the next available slot and that seems to have helped, so I'll go with that for now. So, does that mean the second slot (there are 3 total) is possibly defective, or is it common to skip a slot when using 2 sticks of RAM?

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
no it happens that way sometimes.
as long as its working with that configuation, great [actually, the ram will stay cooler]
good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.