Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone...
I have a problem getting two games to run on my PC: Battlefield 2 and Vampire:bloodlines. I click my shortcut in the start menu and about 50% of the time, nothing happens. It is as if I missed the button or something. In order to make sure that I am not just too incompetent to use a mouse, I've tried right-clicking and clicking 'open' to make sure the OS knows that this is indeed what I want to do. Still, sometimes nothing happens and nothing new is loaded into my running processes. The other half of the time, the splash screen will show. Then about 90% of the time nothing will happen and the other 10% the game will actually start. In that 90%, both the .exe and ~e5 can be found running in the background processes list. So, basically, I have to click the icon for these games a bunch of times before I can actually play, all the while having to end the failed processes. This is, needless to say, very f-ing annoying.

my rig:
2.4ghz HT p4
865g chipset
1g kingston hyperx ram
nvidia 6600gt
dlink wireless G card
on-board sound card
dvd-rw drive

what I've dont to try and fix this garbage:
reinstalled directx, video card driver, and sound card driver
cleaned up my HD, defrag, error check
ran spybot, antivirus, etc
tried running game from a selective startup

I've also contacted both tech support teams for both games and followed a long list of troubleshooting instructions to try and fix this.

And the result....... nothing has worked. I'm about to formatt my HD and reinstall everything. I've just had it... if anyone has any suggestions, plz share them with me. I would appreciate it greatly.

Thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
After doing a bit of "googling" it turns out that both of these games use "SafeDisc" copy protection. There are a couple of things to try to get round this:
1) unmount or uninstall any cd copying software or anything like alcohol etc as the safedisc software won't install the game with these running.
2) try (if practical) a different make of CD drive. If you have a writer in your system change it to a read only drive..
3) Try here for some help.
4) Talk to tech supp again and ask if there is an update availble without SafeDisc - no guarantees but it may be worth the effort.

Good luck!

Tinribs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, great find. I had Alcohol installed during the install of these games. I'll try and re-install after removing the program. Thanks
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top