Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm having a severe problem that i've been stuck with for about a month now. I'd like to consider myself a pretty tech savy guy, but i can't figure out this problem. I tried everything i can think of.

Heres the problem, game loads, 2 secs later bam! severe graphic and artifact issues occur. Computer locks up, sound locks up, can't alt-tab, or ctrl-alt-del.

System specs:

Corsair 750W PSU
EVGA GTX 280 SSC
4 GB of DDR2 GSkill RAM at 1066
ASUS P5Ql-E Motherboard
E8500 Wolfdale @ 3.16 GHZ

Now, i can narrow it done for you. It's not the Video Card as it's been RMA'd 4 times and they all passed testing, it's not the motherboard because it's been RMA'd and they sent me a brand new one. It's not the RAM because 24 hours of testing with memtest on EACH stick came with zero errors. I did a clean wipe and reinstalled Windows 7 fresh. Also, the Corsair 750 W is about 2 weeks old, so i doubt it's that. Also, it did on Vista 64 bit when i had that so i doubt it's the OS's fault.

Now, these crashes are random, for example. I got my new motherboard from RMA yesterday and my computer still crashed, i said what the hell, and pulled out my sound card, which was a M-Audio 5.1 revo. Wow! It worked, i was able to play all my games yesterday fine. I shut it down, wake up and turn it on, BAM, its back. And now it's back for good. Because even after about 5 restarts, it still happening. And it's been on and off like this all day (Dec 11)

I built this computer myself, and it worked great for the first year. When the summer came, it started crashing like this one a blue moon, but it just got worse and worse...

To maybe start you off, here is my DXDIAG. I'm really stuck here at a pickle and i appreciate any help i can get.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, since i can't find an edit button heres an update:

Games work when Shadows and AA/AF are off or disabled. When either of the three on, crash.

Also, as i forgot to mention earlier, all my drivers are up to date. Graphics, BIOS, DirectX, Sound, even Windows Updates.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another update, after some more testing, the games still do crash when Shadows and AA/AF are disabled after about 10 mins. The only way to play longer then that is it to turn everything down to low or off.

Again, i'm still out of ideas, and welcome and thank any help!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I apologize for all these double and triple posts but the edit button is missing.

Anyway, now just being on Windows is causing my computer to crash! As soon as i log on, the computer has severe artifact issues and then it crashes. I don't see how this condition is worsening!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Could be the same problem I'm having... CPU Maxing out from the simplest of things. :/

I can't even really watch youtube anymore...

Can you get your CPU RMA'd? If you can, do it and see if it fixes your problems.

Otherwise, tell me what socket your motherboard uses and what the front bus speed is and I can find you a new one if you want to spend $100-$200 on a new cpu to see if it will work.

If you don't want to spend money if you can't RMA the cpu, then try using older drivers on your display and since you have NVIDIA, if it still has the option -- set the image quality to HIGH PERFORMANCE and change the display settings for your games manually if you can to be the lowest possible and see if it will let you play. Also, try disabling Windows effects by doing the following.

1). Click Start
2). Right Click "Computer"
3). Click Properties
4). Click anything related to Advanced System Settings (Never used 7 to the fullest yet, so I'm unsure of the interfaces and how they're put together)
5). Click "Settings" for visual effects and select "Adjust for best performance"
6). Apply, try your games on lowest settings.

All I can help with unless you want to try a new cpu (if you can't rma your current one)

*EDIT*

Edit button is at the bottom of the post... :p To the side on the bottom of your post.

Also... When you change your visual settings to "best performance" try lowering your resolution to the standard 1024x768 (It will look very distorted on a widescreen monitor -- just a warning)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think it's the PSU as these issues happened on my old 620W Corsair, but when i upgraded to the 750W Corsair, the problems still persisted, still, i will test my PSU tomorrow, thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
No, it's not the PSU, they came back perfect. Any more ideas?

If i use an older GS7900 video card the system works PERFECTLY. it's just the GTX 280 isnt doing it... I think its the motherboard, as it's not giving the GTX 280 enough power. It's not the PSU, as the 750 W Corsair is MORE then enough to run this system. I tried upping the volts on the North Bridge, South Bridge, PCIE SATA voltage and GPU GTL line but it didn't help.

What really makes me wonder, if this was a issue with power to the card from the mobo from the beginning, why didn't this happen in the beginning? Why now a year later?

·
Hardware Team , Games Team
4,651 Posts
Can you give me the amp rating on all 12v lines. Even if you have a 750W PSU it does not mean it can run your card. Not having sufficient amps on the 12v line can cause artifacts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont think it's a overheating issue either, the system crashes as soon as i log into windows, theres no time for the system to overheat that fast. And just to make sure, i opened the case and had 2 house fans directly on the video card, no luck, still crashed.

Still.

Idle - 55c

max load before crash, used occt to stress - 76c

Thanks for your help.

·
4,651 Posts
Go into SafeMode (Tap F6 at bootup) and uninstall these drivers.
Display Adapter (Check box to delete drivers)
IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller (Check box ONLY if you have the M/B CD with the drivers)
Network Adapters (Check box ONLY if you have the M/B CD with the drivers)
Processor (Do not check the box)
Sound, Video, Game Controllers (Check box ONLY if you have the M/B CD with the drivers)

Also on the device manager click View > Show Hidden devices, and uninstall any device you no longer use. Some drive files are left and are hidden here.

Then boot the PC up normally.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
System works fine in safe mode, and it also works fine with no Nvidia drivers installed, once any type of graphical enhancement is activated though, it crashes. Windows Aero crashes it.

Did a system wipe to no avil, used D-Ban i will uninstall and test the system.

·
4,651 Posts
Do you have a different system the house. In which you can test your Graphics card. Make sure the other PC has an equivalent PSU to power the card. If the crashes occur on the other system then its likely you have a faulty card.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.