Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I recently did an almost complete upgrade on my system and have had very few problems; however, I recently began experiencing a serious issue. First off, here are my original system specs:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6850
RAM: 2GB Corsair XMS DDR2 800
Mobo: Abit AW9D-MAX
Vid Card: XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 640 MB XXX Version
Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 700W

I first noticed this problem while playing Bioshock; after anywhere from 20-45 minutes of gameplay, the audio would suddenly drop out and if I tried to save or exit the game, the game would freeze and the entire system would be locked up, with ctrl-alt-del, alt-tab, etc not working at all. I first thought this was a problem with Bioshock, and that updating my some of drivers (vid card, sound card, RAID card) and/or turning off EAX support would fix the problem. This didn't help at all and I continued to experience the same problem.

Still thinking that it might be Bioshock, I began playing Team Fortress 2 and found the problem to be even worse when using it; in TF2, the exact same thing will happen, but much more quickly; I could play for 5-15 minutes before losing audio and having the entire system freeze a few seconds later. I also noticed that in TF2, after I'd lose audio, I wouldnt be able to move around in the few seconds I had before the system froze, though I could continue to use the mouse to look around.

After the system froze, hitting the reset switch also doesn't work; when I did, the LED on the mobo always stopped at 6F or 25. In the end, I always hadto switch off the PSU, which reset the bios.

Thinking that the problem might be my soundcard, I replaced my Audigy 2 with a Soundblaster X-FI Xtremegamer Fatal1ty. For a while, this seemed to fix the problem; I was able to play Bioshock for about 2.5 hrs with no issues, saving and exiting the program several times during my play time. Thinking that the issue was fixed, I started playing again today, only to have the exact same problem after ~30 min of gameplay.

I have two thoughts: First, I am wondering if it might be the psu; given my system specs, is a 700w PSU enough? Second, when I was playing for 2 hours with no problems, I was using headphones and today I had the audio going through the speakers; is there any chance the speakers are doing something to cause the problem?

Any suggestions on what the problem may be and advice on solutions would be very grealy appreciated.

Thanks,
kcw984

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.