Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My boyfriend bought a Geforce FX5200 graphics card for his computer and its not working properly. It wont play most 3D games and it doesnt work with DirectX 3D, which on the box it says its supposed to do. He's getting a bit frustrated with it and I was wondering if any of you know what we can do to solve this problem. Thanks in advance!

Jessica Bodel

·
Registered
336 Posts
Try the latest driver and DirectX9. He might need to disable things like antialiasing on some games. Don't overclock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He says he has downloaded the lastest driver and DirectX9 and hes disabled antialiasing and such, and its not overclocked either. He also says he hasnt tweaked it or anything and he cant think of what could be the problem. Is there anything else we can do? Thank you for helping btw :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is his computer info: Motherboard: Abit K7E, Processor: AMD Athlon 933mghz, OS: Win98 SE.

·
Registered
277 Posts
such as
The file nv4_disp.dll is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.

The file smwdm.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DDraw Test Result: All tests were successful.
D3D7 Test Result: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x80004005 (Generic failure)
D3D8 Test Result: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)
D3D9 Test Result: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)

Direct Draw works fine with it, but when using anything that requires d3d (like all the new games using certain game engines) i end up getting error's...

Army Operations
"Unable to create viewport. Likely, this system does not meet minimum graphics hardware/software specifications. See manual for minimum and recommended machine configuration.

History: UWindowsViewport::OpenWindow <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine"

Shogo wont even run, nor C&C Renagade, and even to Carmageddon 2, which is a little sad to be honested, just starts up and then shuts down.

with reading through the game mags and they testing all the graphics cards with unreal championship 2003, i decided to try use that to have an ego boast from my previously old Geforce II MX, but it didnt even seem to work. i mean if the mags have tested this card with unreal, and my card dosnt seem to allow it to playm there has to be somthing wrong.

Thanks to all who have/can help
Jay

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm just guessing here....
if it plays 3d games... VERY SLOWLY... then i think ur bf didn't update the graphic card driver... he prolly used the built-in driver on the window's cd... which is not a good idea...

when u buy a graphics card... it usually comes with a cd containing the driver... try update the driver with the one on the cd that comes with the card... if it still doesn't work... go to nvidia.com and download their latest driver for ur model... (both of the drivers will probably support openGL, which is a driver that deals with the 3d stuff)

if it's not even running 3d games at all... then i have no idea wut's wrong with the hardware/software/driver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.