Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just (finally) got my TV Out to work with my GeForce FX 5200 (128mb), but I've got a couple questions.

First, I'm using a 27" Sylvania television, and with the resolution set to 1024x768, the text on my screen is so small that I can't read it. Increasing/Decreasing the resolution doesn't really help - the text is still very fuzzy. Is there a setting I can use to fix this?

Also, I've noticed that depending on what window I have open (a windows folder or a web browser, that sort of window) I get a wave on the right side of my screen. It's like the edge of the screen has a curve in it...it creates dead space at the edge of my screen. The cursor follows this curve, and it doesn't appear on my monitor (when I'm running in clone mode.)

Anyhow, I'd be thankful for any advice, especially on how to bring the image sharpness up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
The most important thing you can do to increase sharpness is use S-Video rather than standard composite (the RCA jack). S-Video is sharper than regular composite video. Even with S-Video the TV output quality is crummy compared to even a low-end monitor. Standard TV output is about 640X480 but regular TVs can't even display that resolution properly. You won't be able to read text very easily even on a high-end TV and increasing the resolution higher than 640X480 just makes things smaller which causes even more problems. This image quality problem has to do with how the TV signal is encoded and the fact that most TVs can't even display all the information in the signal properly. Even with a high-end TV, the limitations of a composite or S-Video TV signal mean that the output isn't anywhere near as sharp as a low-end computer monitor.

I'm not sure what the "wave" on your TV is but I've seen some screwy output where the signal is distorted horizontally depending on the color of the area to the left on the screen. If the area to the left is bright then the horizontal line is one length and if the area to the left is dark it's another length. So if you have a wide bright or dark area, it can distort the are to the right of it. If that's what you're seeing then you could try fiddling with the brightness controls on your TV. That used to improve mine many years ago when I had a TV connected to an old computer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks alot...I sort of figured the resolution was just going to be a no-go. And the distortion is indeed caused by bright spots on the screen. Questions answered!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just read about this very old thread and I can relate to his problem since Im using my PC with TV out as my DVD player. And I believe there are other people who are faced with the same challenge. I can suggest that you adjust the DPI settings to higher settings (and use windows magnifier to discern those extremely fine text) so you can read fine text that are rather blurred by limited TV resolution. You can also set windows to use larger icon as well. My video card allowed me to read text using 1024x768 resolution with higher DPI. HTH.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.