Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
* INTEL WORKS ON PENTIUM 4 UPDATE, PENTIUM 5
Intel is now working on Pentium 5, its successor to the Pentium 4, using a new chip architecture that will be substantially different from today's designs. Dubbed Nehalem, the new chip will include better power management and a slew of secret features that Intel will reveal at a later date, according to company insiders. Before that chip ships, however, Intel will release new Pentium 4 designs, including 2003's Prescott, which features the Palladium security subsystem, and Tejas, due in 2004. And you thought your wimpy little 2.5GHz Pentium 4 was state of the art.

Question is How many of your clients are still on 486's or Windows 95:no:

·
Registered
283 Posts
None of my users have 486's. But some do have something close to that. PII 266's are still being used at my company. Just enough to run Win2K.:D :D :D

But I also heard that the new P5 is going to include hyper threading. Which allows the CPU to act as two CPUs. Depending if the OS supports dual proccessing. I know WinXp Home Edition dosn't support dual processing.

But I also heard that Intel isn't getting backing from Microsoft. And that Microsoft isn't for or against the P5.

Anyone else hear anything about Intel's new CPU?

·
STILL Stuck in a treestand....
929 Posts
Humm believe it or not I have 1 user still running a 486. Right now it's sitting in the floor beside me and I'm trying to explain why he needs to replace it. The motherboard is dead and this fool wants to find a used one for it. Stupid:no: stupid:no: stupid:no: He says he'll just put it back in his office for typing if I can't get a new motherboard. Now how many of you guys have every seen a computer work with a dead motherboard? Makes me wonder how some people get so far in life.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Also heard that the P5 is going to run at a 667mhz front side bus and have 1 mg of cache (awsome!!!!). And that it is based on a 64bit archetiture.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most of my customers still use 486. (And MS-DOS 6.22 or earlier)

I still sell about 3200pcs of 486 motherboards and/or systems every year.

I have them built for us in Taiwan by an industrial motherboard manufacturer.

I helped to design our 486 motherboard back in 1999; and since then we have sold almost 50K of them mostly for embedded applications (ie. machine controllers, robots, telecom systems, etc.)

Currently I am working on a new 486 motherboard to replace our old board and a semi-custom chassis for it as well.

There are a lot of applications where a 486 works better than anything higher than a classic Pentium 90/100. New CPUs and newer OS's don't work in old capital equipment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.