Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to do a full system restore and i ordered two cd's from HP. one is application and driver recovery DVD and 2nd is operating system cd. i installed the application and driver recovery DVD and nothing changed. than i tried the 2nd one and i could not get anywhere with that one. am i suppose to use both, and which one first or just one. please help i have been trying for about 5 hours now.

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visitng Expert
4,279 Posts
Hello garciacag

Use the operating system CD first.

Configure your PC to boot from CD if it isn't already set up that way. You may need to enter the BIOS to configure the PC to boot from the CD.
Set the boot order to
Floppy (if present)
CDROM
Hard Disk
SAVE and EXIT

Start your PC with the operating system CD in the drive. When you see the "Press any key to boot from CD..." prompt, do so and let the CD-based boot process begin.

After XP is installed and you are at the desktop, then use the Applications and Drivers CD. Install the drives first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all, since i had already used the application and driver recovery DVD first did i already mess things up. what should i do. Next, how do i configure my pc to boot from my cd. i'm sorry about all this questions but i am not very good with the computer. i also appreciate your reply very much.

·
Registered
447 Posts
It may already be configured to boot in that order.
Put the XP disk in the primary cd tray. Restart it, if it boots from the cd, follow the on screen directions.
You cannot plance the XP cd in the tray and have it "run", it has to be in the cd when the computer starts up cold.
You will loose everything on the computer, so back up all your pictures, music, and in general My Documents.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you all so much for your quick response and help. i followed your instructions and now i have brand new computer again. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.