Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Hard Drive is full and I need to delete stuff from it but want to make sure I get all the "unimportant" stuff off first before I start deleting other files & programs that might be useful.

Can anyone recommend a (freeware) HD Utility that will list files (particularly folders) by size, so I can get an idea of where to find some space ?

Also, I used to use a program by Norton that would list files by their age, which was sometimes useful in finding candidates for deletion. A similar feature to this would be useful also.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Just use the Search feature in XP (Winkey+F). Click "All files and Folders" and specify a size. Search with a blank search field and let it do it's thing. When it finds all the files, click the tab at the top that says "Size" twice so it can list the largest files first.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking for a Utility that is easier to use than the "Search" function. I want more direct control over the search parameters, meaning that I want to be able to search for files that are less than 1 K in size. Also, I would like the ability to limit the search to only "Folders", without having a bunch of files to have to wade through.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

Honey I would like to suggest perhaps a better solution

A) a file management program is going to cost you anywhere from $30.00 to $50.00 bucks

you would be better served to buy another hard drive and slave it to your existing computer / then use xxclone.com to clone (makes a bootable copy of your hard drive)

a good western digital 80 gig IDE drive 7200 RPM 8mg cache drive on ebay can be bought for about $40.00 / others have told me western digital is promoting a rebate now which would give you a damn good shot at a cheap drive !! also check newegg.com

another good part of the extra drive would be the perfect back-up you would then have ????? how is your data backed up now if your drive died in 10 seconds from now ????? 9, 8, 7, 6, 5 you get the idea POOF ~~~ its all gone ?????

example below:
http://cgi.ebay.com/WESTERN-DIGITAL...244229063QQcategoryZ99249QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

file mangement=
http://www.download.com/AnyWhere-Pro/3000-2248_4-10367520.html?tag=lst-0-1

http://www.ztree.com/

dont hesitate to ask more questions

regards

joe

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd just like a freeware utility. I've seen them before, but don't want to waste time with one that is substandard, when better progs are available for free.

Also, I already have as many Hard Drives as I can fit and afford. So getting rid of the excess data is the only option anyways. I just need some kind of recommendation.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I listed two file management progs above that I believe are free for a limited period / you could do a google search for more.

joe

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry...

Since it seemed you were advising I deal with this problem in a different way, I didn't try the links. I'll try them now. But mostly I was looking for a "personal endorsement" for a utility; something that an experienced and "more informed" computer user recommends over other programs. But I will take a look...

Thanks again.

·
Registered
209 Posts
heres afew tricks to clear space... I should save this

First run
Programs acessories system tools disk cleanup. clear all the temp files, dont compress old files.

Second
Go to Add Remove Programs. Clear everything you dont want, and write down the name of it. then go to program files, find the folders with the leftover stuff that the uninstall didnt get. Delete those, empty the recycle bin.

Third
If you download music or files, sort through the stuff you dont want. If u have Alot of music, Get itunes, orginize all the names, then convert all Mp3 files to 112kb/s with most computers (especially ac97) anything higher then 112 you wont notice a difference. if you have 20gb of music this could cut it down to about 10gb.
You can do the same thing with Videos if you do video editing, change it all the .WMV which is Currently the most compressed.

Fourth
Go to My Documents, Delete anything you dont want. Anything that you dont use on a regular basis but want to keep, put into a .RAR or .ACE

Fifth
Huge Zip Files can be more compressed with .Rar and .Ace, you can save some space there aswell.

When Your Finally done, Repeat step 1,
If you still need more space, on an NTFS drive(NTFS ONLY!), Windows Compression can work. Check off Compress Old Files on the repeat of step one. Programs that dont need aton of power (something like starcraft) you can compress aswell. Right Click on the folder Properties Advanced, check compress to save disk space and wait abit. The % of space save is about the same as the speed you lose loading it.

Finally, To top it off
Close Everything exept windows
Defrag

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Compumaniac, for the tutorial. While I haven't done EXACTLY as you advise, I have already done most of what you suggest.

I don't do much with music files, but what I DO do is download, install, evaluate and then (hopefully) delete programs from the Internet that don't "measure up" to expectations.

The problem is that sometimes I forget to delete the files completely, so there may be 2,3 or even more versions of the uncompressed files floating around on either of my 2 Hard Drives.

This morning, I've downloaded 4 and installed 2 different Duplicate File Finding programs. Neither of the 2 seem to do what I am looking for.

First, it takes FOREVER to run a "complete" search for duplicate files. Second, I don't need to know about EVERY SINGLE FILE that is duplicated. What is enough for me is to find Folders that contain files that are redundant. When I can find these, I can then decide which one will stay (if I still want it) and which one(s) can be deleted. It seems that a good Disk Utility ought to anticipate this need and make identifying these folders easy, but I have been unable (thus far) to find one.

Second, even when the list of duplicate files is adequately completed, the last two I installed would not list those files by size. I am not really interested in finding duplicate folders/files that are smaller than, say, 500 Meg.

Finally, because of the various compression formats, (.zip, .rar and also including .iso and other image formats), I would also like to be able to quickly and easily find these large "chunks" of data (with the ability to list them in terms of size) so that I can delete some (or all) of them as necessary. And since my File Management practices (I do have a system) has "evolved" since before I got my second HD (pulled from another machine with a different O/S), I need the ability to check for duplicates over the 2 drives.

But thanks for your help. I already have a pretty good system for file management; what I am trying to do now is completely clean-up and organize the Hard Drives so I can get a sense of how much data I really have (that I want to keep). I may need to purchase another (larger) drive, but I want to make sure that I don't wind up buying another one only because the 2 I have now are filled with junk I could get rid of.

Right now my computer hardware money is earmarked for a new Video Card, and I don't want to spend that money on another HD unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.