Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do apologies for not reading through this forum first before asking my question but I'm all read out lol. My problem is I have just installed a second hard drive in my Dell 3000 desktop and and found the hardware and changed the drive letter etc but it's saying I only have 3.0 GB on it and its a small 20 GB hard drive. It was given to me by a friend and said the files needed to be wiped clean. So I formated the hard drive and it still says 17 GB used space.....I'm stumped. Any way to get it back to the full 20 GB?? PLEASE HELP ME lol.

·
Registered
655 Posts
right click my computer and choose manage
on the box that comes up, choose disk management.
Your disk should be there.
right click your NEW DISK YOU JUST PUT IN
not your windows one..
choose delete partition or format..see what happens

·
Registered
655 Posts
yea u can install windows on 20gb lol i have it on an 8 :p

but no if u have both hard drives connected, get the cd to boot at startup like you would install windows..so Boot your PC from CD rom.
then when it scans for hard disks..erase the "20gb" one that appears as a 3gb one..and all the partitions to do with that drive..to be safe..disconnect your main drive anyways before turning on

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I have already formatted the NEW drive I thought windows wouldn't pick it up. There isn't suppose to be anything on it lol. (but obviously there is lol) I only have a windows xp cd... I thought that would require a lot more space then 20 gb. But this drive is also only for storage so I don't need windows on it......

·
Registered
655 Posts
nah you wont need to install just choose to format. then when its done the 100% format turn pc off :)
trust me it works

btw windows can be installed on a 4gb hard drive..but it might have swap file errors..but its perfectly do-able :p

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
One thing that is not being looked at is what was one the 20 Gb hard drive before trying to install it in the Dell. If the hard drive had Linux on it the partition for Linux is not just going to go away by itself. What is going to have to be done is do a partitioning on it and tell the partition program to delete all partitions, I would suggest using gparted this is like partition magic but since it is not run thru windows can not mess windows up so do not use partition magic

Here is the link to gparted and there is a wonderful manual there also. What you want to download is the Live disk file which is an ISO file and burn it to a CD-R and boot the computer from it. It is a Linux based program and that is why it will not screw up Windows.

GParted - Gnome Partition Editor
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have tried what paddyn suggested and it does nothing....I am burning a copy of the program thorxp has suggested.... my only concern is... i don't want to screw up my os. Just want to wipe out the second hard drive (which has windows also). I'll try this method and post what happens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok. I have downloaded gparted and ran it on the new hard drive and it says error..... It just stops and don't do anything.... There are files on the hard drive. I can restore them with a program that I downloaded.. Should I try to restore the hard drive and then run this program again. Its still not making sense to me why its saying there's only 3.0 GB when its a 20 GB......OH MY :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm sorry I don't have a floppy drive. This is my third hard drive I have tried in my computer and this is the only one my computer will recognize and It does work because I was going through the files that were on it before I did a "format drive"........*sigh* lol... maybe I shouldn't have formated it lol.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hmmm, i know this is about the "full" hard drive, but with your other hard drives, check the jumper setting ( The 2 collum, 5 row of pins ) on the back of the hard drive next to the IDE cable input ( the wide one ). if you look at the top of the hard drive there should be a diagram of that pin set up with "slave, master, maser with slave presant" or somthing to that effect, make sure its set to slave.. and im sure your computer should reconise the hard drives.. or you might want to concider renewing your IDE cables

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.