Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I've got an Aptiva with a fried FAT and no restore disks. It is mirroring the c: drive into a: somehow. Anybody got any ideas about what happened and how to get the backup FAT restored?
Thanks

·
hey
10,189 Posts
I used to have a program called SpinRite, that if I remember correctly would repair the FAT tables. If I can today at work I'll see if I can find a program for you that will repair the FAT table.

As for what could have caused it, have you scanned the computer for a virus? Maybe get a computer with up to date virus definations and hook the Aptiva HD as a slave and scan it.

·
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Jason, I'm trying Ontrack's EasyRecovery for FAT32 to see what it can do. I had the virus idea too as well, and i had someone suggest that it may have had Drive Converter for FAT32 run on a floppy.
Thanks, Reg
(Edit: This version only does 5 files) :mad:

·
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope. Trying Norton on it now. May just have to order the cd's from IBM :( .
Reg

·
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ordered the CD today from IBM - and it better work! If not I'm gonna be very angry!:mad:
Reg

·
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out hard drive was totally toasted. Ended up getting a new one. Now i have a new note to put into personal tech handbook about hard drives.
Thanks!
MT

·
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Managed to get some of it off before drive went totally. Shoulda known something was up from the sounds drive was making - it was very very noisy.
Thanks!
MT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.