Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Resident Brat
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok My puter techies, I neeed help... Badly I am sooo confused...could be serious lack of sleep that I am not understanding something that seems so simple...
I am ready to upload to my site..via ftp.. * I was used to Tripod where they made it easy* Here's where Iam having a problem...

What folder do I actually upload to? I just have the index page ready for now. I have a root folder..what is that for? Then there is the www. folder. I think this is where I upload the stuff I have ready to. There is already an index page..do I just replace it with what I have now * since this will be my opening page*..Do I create a sub folder??

Now the FTP question...

Here are the instructions for Coffee Cup from myhosting site...

In the dialog box you will need to fill in the input fields:
Your Name : Just put in your name
Hostname/Address : ftp.yourserver.com
Choose the option that requires Username/Password

Input your username
Input your password

Local Starting Directory: cprogramfilescoffeecup ( or where ever you have saved your files and images too )
Remote Starting Directory : yourdomain-www ( ie.. billybob-www ) note the domainname without the extention but with the -www 'domain-www'

Once logged in you will be shown a listing of your Hard Drive on the left side and the server directory on the right side. You can start by highlighting a file on the left side and then clicking on the UPLOAD button. You can also Drag and Drop files to and from your server

But here are the instructions from CC themselves...

Nickname: * I got that part*

User name:* Got that*

Password * yup*

Webserver addy: I guess which would be www.sealyskindredspirits.com So I think I've got that right...

Remote Directories: eg: /pub/web/yourname/images

K the difference in the instructions confuses me...

I am almost lost from the beginning so I need basic simple instructions .. please????

Thanks soooo much in advance.. I worked all night on the graphics, now I'm ready to get them up!!!!

·
hey
10,189 Posts
who did you sign up with?

Usually web files will go under www or public_html.

/pub/web/yourname/images Is the location on the server. So if you signed up with sealy it would be /pub/web/sealy/images

Not really sure what you are asking since I don't use coffee cup. but if you got a ftp program like wsftp I could help with that.

·
Resident Brat
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Danrak..
I signed up with Christian Web Hosting They seem pretty good.. affordable and have all I need for now.. limited of course in content >:} But i can behave.., right???

K, I found where to upload to the www directory...now for the images.. do I create a seperate folder within the directory for images?

And what exactly is the root directory for?? Ya got some Tylenol??LOL

·
hey
10,189 Posts
How do you have your webpages setup? Are the images going to a image directory?

As for me, I would make a image directory and put them in there. For the reason of keeping things neat. You have all your images in one directory, not mixxed. But you need to make sure all your html pages point to the images in the images directory.

The root directory is for different things. They are a bit more complicated, but it does come in use. I've used directories right off the root directory, mostly for security purposes though.

I don't have tylonal, sorry. I'm not a big fan of drugs anymore. I do have some bear around though. I could use some right now. Or my baby. She lowers my blood pressure the best.

·
Resident Brat
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just added an images directory.. mmm what do ya mean by this: "But you need to make sure all your html pages point to the images in the images directory." ?

Now that I have addd the directory.. I am working on the ftp thing... here's what I have..my user name password all that.. now on the web server address..wold that be my site addy or the hosts? Cuz I put mine and I am getitng an error..Host not found...
:no:
I need my baby too..I miss him soooo much :( :( :(

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
When you want to href an image, you have to provide the path to get there, if it's not in the same dir as the web page.

I need my baby too ... :rolleyes:

·
Resident Brat
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pseudocyber said:

I need my baby too ... :rolleyes:
Thanks and :crackup: :laugh1: :laugh3: :winkgrin:

·
Resident Brat
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I DID IT I DID IT!!!!!!!! WOOO HOOOOO!! Withy'all's help and good ole DJ helping me on MSN we did it!!!! go see!!! Whew! Who's buying me a beer?LOL

Sealy's Kindred Spirits
YA ME!!!!:winkgrin: :winkgrin: :winkgrin: :winkgrin:

·
Resident Brat
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:winkgrin: Was I THAT aggrivating?? giggle :smooch: on the cheek

Reallythough thanks y';all.. nowanother question..

Chromeless windows.. I am gonna use them... for the images, do I have to put the pathname in front of them as well within the script?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.