Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people this is my first build so i want to do this right!! Help me out...
Here is my problem, i have an ECS L7S7A2 MoBo with and AMD Athlon Xp2600+ and 512 mb DDR2700 i have installed everything correctly but when i look into bios or into system it says im running a XP2000+ at 1.67Ghz this is a pretty big fall in power .. why is this i am stumped have been looking everywhere on the internet and have not found anything like my problem some that are kinda like it but nothing that hits it right on the head.. Is this because im running at a low FSB speed (133 mhz) or the CPU/DRAM clock ration is wrong which is at i belive 1:1 by default .. which i might add everything is at default.. i dont have the Brass just to start playing with bios without hardcore correct information. please help me!!
thanks Robert-:confused:

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Half the time what it tells you in Control Panel- System is bogus. All through the years there have always been problems with Windows misinterpreting what it's got in it. They must "build" the Windows software at some point in time, and they probably make some effort to figure out what CPU's are known at that time, and what's in the pipe. Then years later, new CPU's come along, but the same old Windows is still on the shelf. It's not clairvoyant. It probably prints whatever the max was when it was built.

So don't put too much faith in what it says here. If you're not getting the performance you expect, then you can start to investigate. 1.6 is still pretty respectable for running 2000; I have a 1.8 at work, loaded down with corporate software and it's totally fine.

Don't mess with the BIOS, I don't think there's a need here.

-clintfan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks... is there somekind of program that i can download to make sure what my computer has in it?? I just want to make sure because i didnt spend money on it not to get every piece of performance out of it , ya know? thanks for the reply. keep them coming guys!

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Hi! I checked your mobo manual. Your BIOS Setup has an "Advanced Chipset Setup" function which displays "CPU Frequency" as the first item. It's just a display item, not something you can change. Now, I can't tell if this is displaying the FSB frequency or the frequency of the CPU itself. But it might tell you the number you need, have a look. You can get to Setup by hitting the DELETE key during powerup.

Also under "Advanced CMOS Setup" there is also an "Initial Display Mode" setting which defaults to BIOS, but I can't tell what the other setting choices are. If there is a POST, self test, or similar choice, maybe your CPU frequency would be displayed onscreen at powerup. AMIBios tends to switch to such a display anyway as soon as you hit DELETE, so hit it pretty early.

I'm also thinking if you download and run SiSoftware Sandra, a profiling tool, it might tell you what CPU speed you have; I can't remember, only ran it once and don't have that output here at work.

I looked for a software utility you could download, like Intel has for some of their chipsets (I ran one here last night), but the SiS site had nothing-- they just send you back to ECS, who has no such utility for Socket-A mobos.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks alot guys for the info and i checked it out with the 3rd party software and my cpu is in fact running at the speed it says and the proplem that i think it is is that my fsb is running at 133 and should be running at 166 to make the 2600 run at the right speed (12.5 x 166) and also to make my pc 2700 run at 333mhz
so all i have to do know is find out how to do that the manual doesnt say exactly how to do this but i am calling ecs tomarrow moring! the bios doesnt let me do it but there are some jumpers on the MoBo that allow this but i want to find out from ecs exaclty how to do this! i hope all this helps anyone else that runs into this problem!

thanks agian all
Robert-

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Sounds like a plan!

Btw, I checked the output I saved from my Sandra run last June, and it did *not* have anything about the CPU/FSB/Mem speeds. Maybe there are other tests you can run, the one I did was about my storage speeds. Which, btw, reported numbers 3 times my in-practice observations: 11MB/s vs. 3.3MB/s.

-clintfan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.