Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I went back to my old processor. After all of this trial and error, exchanging parts between 3 machines, it turned out to be a bad CPU.

So now...my old processor is an XP2000+. The BIOS reads the speed as 133 external, with a 12.5x multiplier to equal ~1.67ghz.

Last time I was running this, I left the external at 133, raised the multiplier to 13x, and it was running at ~1.72 (I think I was running at 1.75 according to Windows).

This time though...it seems any changes I make bring the speed DOWN considerably. I changed the multiplier to 13x, expecting a small speed bump, and it came out to 667mhz when I rebooted.

So...What's the deal? And also, how much can I safely OC this CPU, typically?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ L8 APEKS
I would guess your FSB is falling back with a too-high multiplier. You may have to increase the FSB to OC.

Here is a guide or two or three that you may find helpful.

Keep us posted of your progress.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
ok then
first of all you need to clear your cmos, either with the motherboard jumper or the battery pull after its unplugged.

then you need to see these amd specs

thats not a good cpu to overclock, barton cores are better
but a slight overclock shouldnt be a problem

the ram, which we dont have the specs on, at least i dont, might be holding you back....just seen the ddr400 specs

overclocking is a tricky little business, and it sometimes requires a little more than bumping the multiplier.

I believe your stock multiplier should be 12.5.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.