Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Well, I feel like a dummy,but.... I was installing another case fan and accidently pulled all the small wires ( PWRLED,HDLED,RESET,PWR-BTN, etc) off the mobo. I connected them wrong and burned out the front panel power-on and hdd indicator LED's. So, what is a TYPICAL voltage these LED's run on and where in the world might I find a couple? Radio Shack? Thanks for your help and input. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Are you sure you burned them out? If you hook up the LED leads backwards the LEDs just refuse to turn on; they're not damaged. If you really did destroy them then you can presumably get them at a radio shack as well as about a zillion places online. You can pretty much use any standard LED which is the proper diameter to fit in your front panel. They have similar forward voltages (usually around 2 volts or so) and the resistor in the motherboard will limit the current for any of them. The forward voltage isn't a critical value which you have to match exactly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dummy continued

Must be running in reverse again. You were right. I had the two LED's wires connected in reverse on the mobo. I took off the front panel and pulled out the two LEDs with a pair of needlenose and reinstalled them with the leads opposite of what they were when I pulled them, turned on power and PRESTO!... let there be light.
It's kind of strange though to me. I had very recently updated the mobo and had everything working. All the wires I accidently pulled off have an ID stenciled on the connector. I thought that when I originally powered up, all the stenciles were facing toward the front of the machine. I guess the two LED connectors were not(they are now!). Just reversed the LED's. Oh well, they are working properly, but I have to place the blame on the biggest piece of software I own... the brain! Thanks again for the help and input. :smile:

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
EJayJay said:
but I have to place the blame on the biggest piece of software I own... the brain!
Isn't that hardware?

I hate connecting the motherboard lines. I have big hands and always do it after the board is in the case. Rawr!

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
as far as which way they were originally facing, most of the time, if there is one row of pins, they face the front of the case.

if there is two rows, they normally split the back row to face the other direction.

that way you can read them all while they are plugged in.

also, anyone who might see this thread in a search, who really does want to know where to get those led's, you could go to any pc repair shop anywhere, and pick one of these up for a dollar or less.

because they throw away so many old pc's, they can almost always find you the led you need, with or without the pigtail.

if you are into modding, or can't find a pc shop, you might try radioshack.
these are most often 3 volt LED's

pc repair shops are also a great source of cheap case fans, i get fans for 2$, and the grilles for half a dollar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.