Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup guys, my PC's been acting kinda strange lately and slowing up on me so after backing up all my important stuff I formatted and did a brand new install. everything's working great now, but I was just wondering if anybody had any advice on keeping it this way. I run system mechanic 3.7 and spybot S&D pretty regularly to try to keep unwanted junk cleared out, but is there anything else I could be doing to keep things going smooth?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Defrag, clean out unused registry entries, virus scan, Spyware removal, that's about the normal list. You might run something like Norton's WinDoctor to cleanup the registry once in a while...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use system mechanic's registry cleaner, is this adequate or is there a better way?
I run norton's anti-virus auto-protect at startup and do a complete system scan every once in a while so I should be OK there.
I read a post in one of the forums here about spybot S&D and downloaded it and it seems to do a real good job with keeping spyware under control.

just want to give some props to the guys that run this place. I've only been into PCs for a couple of years, and all my knowledge is pretty much self taught and learned through trial and error. the only PC that was around when I was in school was the commodore64 (yeah I know I'm an old fart :winkgrin: ) so I never really got any kind of formal PC education. I wish I had found this place a lot sooner. keep up the good work guys.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Sounds like you're doing what you need to do. I don't know about System Mechanic, but I'm assuming it's pretty similar to the Norton functionality.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
The Commodore 64 was a little packaged PC with a tiny monochrome screen, as I recall, it used one of the 65xx processors. Oh, and it didn't have any disks, used cassette tape. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it came with a tape drive and a floppy drive, but no monitor. it hooked up to your tv with a cable kinda like the atari 2600. I still remember playing zork and superbowl sunday on that thing for hours.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was really lame, I had a commodore VIC 20.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been in computers for a long time. I once worked on an IBM mainframe with 64K - it could multi-task! I'm not making this up. Before that I worked on a card system that was 8k - It had a card deck loader and compiler (three passes). We put dozens of applications on it. In one day I programmed a card re-arranger and out went the old clickety-clack EAM card punch.

When i won $600 at Atlantic city on craps I realized my dream of having 64K in my basement - unreal. I've given away all my old PCs but I still have the commodore (first time syndrome?).

The later put out a disk drive that also had a 6502 chip running it (alright it didn't work right - but hey) independently. Another chip ran the screen sprites and another chip ran the sound. Very advanced. The screen was 64 chars wide so it died as a business machine. Atari put out a series of game machines that exceeded that and was great for graphics.

:winking:

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
James Sullivan said:
I've been in computers for a long time. I once worked on an IBM mainframe with 64K - it could multi-task! I'm not making this up. Before that I worked on a card system that was 8k - It had a card deck loader and compiler (three passes). We put dozens of applications on it. In one day I programmed a card re-arranger and out went the old clickety-clack EAM card punch.
I worked for IBM in the 60's, and I installed the first 360 in Phila. :) It was a Model 30 with tape drives, no disk! FWIW, 64kb was the maximum memory that the Model 30 could be configured with, and those 2311 removable pack drives has a monster 7mb of data on them, each! :D

·
Registered
529 Posts
All this talk makes that Apple 2 I used to play Odell Lake on for hours seem state of the art.:brush: Strangely, you may be better off with one of these arcade game machines than with one of today's powerhouse boxes. Those old boxes didn't crash, did they?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.