Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished doing a fresh install of XP SP2, and i can not get connected to my internet connection.

I have tried using the command line to view my settings using IPCONFIG, but it returns blank. Under device manager>Network Adapters all i have is the 1394 Net Adapter.

I am using the on board LAN connection from my ASUS A8N SLI mobo, which worked just 3 days ago. I have pinged 127.0.0.1, and i receive 4 out of 4 packets so i am sure its not the nic. If i connect directly to the cabel modem (instead of the router like it is now), it does not change anything. Even if i remove the cat 6 cable from the back of the computer it still says i am connected....?

Any ideas?

I found this thread, which is the identical problem i am having but i know my cable modem is working because i am using my laptop with the wireless it provides :)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/solved-asus-a8n-sli-premium-motherobard-lan-issue-206893.html

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Have you reinstalled your chipset drivers (including the drivers for the NIC)?

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Welcome to TSF....

Here is a little bit better explanation for this:

Since there has been a clean installation of Windows there are special drivers that have to be installed in order for the computer to run and function properly the drivers that are from the different manufacturers for their devices can be installed after these are. The special drivers like chipset, buss, network, audio, video and others, can be found on the Recovery Disk Set that comes with the computer or on-line in the Support area usually under Drivers and Downloads area [if it is an OEM like Compaq, Dell etc. or found on the motherboard manufacturers site for the computer. These drivers can be downloaded thru any computer and then burned to a separate CD-R for future installation and also for keeping them so you do not have to download them again. There is no specific order that they should be installed in but my own personal preference is in this order:
Chipset Drivers First, Buss Drivers Second, Video Display Drivers Third, Network Drivers Fourth, Audio Drivers Fifth and all others needed afterwards.
In the list you might find a BIOS upgrade that has to have a procedure called, “Flashing” done to install this. This should be done with great care if the Flashing is not successful then you will end up with a useless computer and a service call to the manufacturer of the computer tech support may be in order to get the proper repair fix for this I would not use this particular file unless It is absolutely necessary. .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to TSF....

Here is a little bit better explanation for this:

Since there has been a clean installation of Windows there are special drivers that have to be installed in order for the computer to run and function properly the drivers that are from the different manufacturers for their devices can be installed after these are. The special drivers like chipset, buss, network, audio, video and others, can be found on the Recovery Disk Set that comes with the computer or on-line in the Support area usually under Drivers and Downloads area [if it is an OEM like Compaq, Dell etc. or found on the motherboard manufacturers site for the computer. These drivers can be downloaded thru any computer and then burned to a separate CD-R for future installation and also for keeping them so you do not have to download them again. There is no specific order that they should be installed in but my own personal preference is in this order:
Chipset Drivers First, Buss Drivers Second, Video Display Drivers Third, Network Drivers Fourth, Audio Drivers Fifth and all others needed afterwards.

Thanks for the great explanation!

But i broke down and bought a pci nic, i plugged it in and all is well again. If i get bored on a weekend i will try and get the onboard nic to work, but until then i will just be lurking here :wave:
In the list you might find a BIOS upgrade that has to have a procedure called, “Flashing” done to install this. This should be done with great care if the Flashing is not successful then you will end up with a useless computer and a service call to the manufacturer of the computer tech support may be in order to get the proper repair fix for this I would not use this particular file unless It is absolutely necessary. .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.