Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a nightmare the last week trying to reload my computer to start over.

I originally tried to reload XP on my hard drive after an electrical storm.

I formatted the hard drive NTFS and loaded XP. I then had an issue with the Validation of my XP and called Microsoft. Bottom line... I got hosed on this copy.

NO BIG DEAL....... I remember that I still had my original copy of win98 and a Windows XP HOME UPGRADE package I never used.

I inserted win98 and installed it on my hard drive..........

Once completed, I installed my XP HOME UPGRADE..........NO PROBLEM RIGHT??????

WRONG????????

For some reason, I got a message saying "low on disk space".........how can that be?

I checked the properties of the hard drive and it only shows it as a 2 gig hard drive when it's a 60 Gig hard drive....

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN???????

Anyone know what I should do at this point?

thank You

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I may have figured it out??? But how do I fix it?

I guess when I did the original XP install, I used NTFS to format the drive.

When I reinstalled win98, it is a FAT drive now??

would this have something to do with it?

She I just reformat the whole hard drive again and start over?

If so, should I do the drive as a FAT or NTFS?

I will reinstall Win98 and use my XP HOME upgrade disc.

What do you suggest is the best way to do this?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
When you installed Windows 98, obviously you had to delete the XP partition. Did you use FDISK to do so and to create your Windows 98 partition? If so I think you pressed no when it asked you "do you want to enable large hard disk support?"
That horribly phrased question basically means "Do you want to use FAT (aka FAT16) or FAT32?" If you press yes, you can use FAT32 (and any created partition will be FAT32 (I don't think you're allowed to create partitions under 512MB though). If you press no you're only allowed to create FAT partitions. FAT (the original FAT16) is limited to 2GB partitions. Even if you pick make maximum size for primary partition it will be 2 gig. You can make additional partitions in the extended partition though (limited each to 2GB).
Anyway that's the explanation.

Now here's a question: do you want to dual boot? AKA do you want, when you start up, to have a menu that asks you whether you want to boot into Windows 98 or Windows XP? Or do you want XP only?

Now to answer your questions:
If you don't have any important data to salvage then yes, start over. Delete all your partitions (get back here if you want to know how to do it quickly - can be done by booting 98 floppy, typing FDISK, then deleting all partitions, or can be done by booting in XP CD, choosing repair, entering the recovery console, and running diskpart). Note: no need to run FDISK again and install Windows 98 again if you don't care about dual booting: see my tip below.

Now's a tip
You can boot from the XP upgrade CD. You don't need Windows 98 already installed (you can have it there, in fact you can even erase during XP installation if you want, but you don't need it). What happens is if it doesn't detect Windows 98 on the hard disk, it will just ask you to insert your Windows 98 CD in the drive. Just swap CD's for a sec. And it'll never bug you again. Simple as that.

If you upgrade (aka leave Windows 98 on so you can dual boot), during XP installation it may ask you whether you want to convert to NTFS. Say no otherwise Windows 98 won't be able to boot.

P.S: Easy on that question mark button, dude

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.