Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! I'm a beginner in computer, so please help me.

I try to upgrade my system to XP with SP2 from XP PRO SP1 (MSDN). The bootable CD copies all the files to my harddrive. After finished copying the files, it tells me that it will restart. But after the restarting, as the Windows logo appears, the system hangs up, the progress bar below the logo doesn't move. So, I reformat my hdd again and not try a fresh installation of XP with SP2, but it ends up with the same situation. I doubt that there's a problem with the software. So I went to my local store where I bought this CD and ask them to install it in their system, but it worked well on their pc. Now I try to install a lower version XP Home Edition Version 2002, it worked well also.
I don't have any idea on what's the cause of it and how to solve this. Is it on hardware? Maybe? I don't know.

So please kindly advise.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'll try reading the installation doc first and get back on result as soon
as I can. :smile:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi Dai,

Have installed dotnetfx, asking for windows installer 3.0 (i downloaded and installed it also), installed nlite and run it.
Have followed the instruction on MSFN's Unattended Windows page>Beginners, up to Step 2. But when I open the i386 folder (copied on drive C:\XPCD), cant find update.exe or update folder (SP2 is intergrated on XP, does that matter?). Available exe files are http://www.filefactory.com/file/b7441d/ (sorry for this link, didn't have list of good file hosting site at hand.) and the only .exe file under the C:\XPCD is setup.exe. Advise on how will I proceed.
If I use this killdisk, will I still use nlite. Or this could solve the problem alone. Have patience. Thanks. :1angel:

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
if sp2 is already intergrated into the xp disk then the disk is already installing sp2 when you do the install
it is only xp disks bought before sp2 came out that require it slipstreaming in
microsoft do the slipstreaming before they are shipped on disks bought after it's release
run killdisk and try the install again

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Dai,

Instead of formatting my disk, maybe someday i can use that killdisk, i try to download the large SP2 file and slipstream it to my system. I also downloaded some hotfixes and added them also to my system. But I had another question, how can I check if these SP2 and hotfixes are really added to my system. Thanks a lot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.