Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

First of all, let me say I've come here before for help with a problem and received great support and advice! :pray:

Now with my latest problem...
I recently did a clean install of Windows 7 home premium x64 (about a month ago), and everything was working fine. Just a few days ago I started experiencing random BSOD's, application crashes (firefox, opera, steam) as well as windows giving me these other symptoms:
  • "AntiMalware Service has experienced an error and needs to close"
  • Unable to virus scan (w/ Security Essentials) due to the above service crashing.
  • Frequent "explorer.exe" crashes
  • Frequent application crashes and hanging
  • While playing a game (Counter Strike: Source) white specks/noise appeared overlaying on the screen, which made me think it was a graphics driver error. After I closed the game, steam would crash on startup.

My BSOD's have been SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, among others involving "ntfs.sys". Im not sure if this has anything to do with the problem, but the partition that has the new windows install was formatted over a previous partition that was EXT3 format. I have read that ntfs.sys errors can arise from this issue. however, disk check shows nothing. Also, when i attempt to run a full scan with Microsoft Security Essentials, i recieve an error saying it couldnt scaan because the program's service has stopped. I presume that this service is the antimalware service. The error code is 0x800106ba.

Is this a harddrive error, or a memory error? or possibly a kernel/driver issue? Im stumped with the frequent crashed of firefox, thunderbird, steam, etc. Many of my programs are locking up and crashing.:4-dontkno

Any help would be much appreciated. I built this desktop and consider myself an advanced computer user. I will attach my latest BSOD dumps.

Thanks,
Modulator

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just got another blue screen of death, this time it was "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" 0x1A error.
It seems all of my errors have to do with ntoskrnl.exe. :sigh:
Help would be appreciated!

Minidump is attached.

Attachments

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft MVP
7,483 Posts
Please try these hardware tests first:
http://www.carrona.org/memdiag.html
http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

Your RTCore64.sys is very old: Wed May 25 02:39:12 2005
The RTCore64.sys file belongs to an overclocking utility usually from EVGA
I'd suggest uninstalling the utility if you're not overclocking the card.

If you are overclocking, please return the system to stock settings while we troubleshoot.

Please make sure that the airflow to your video card is good, that there's no excessive dust/dirt clogging the card's cooler, and that the fan is working properly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I ran a memtest as soon as the bluescreens started, and did not receive any errors. I also tested the drives using SeaTools basic tests, and a diskcheck, and both turned up no errors either.

Your RTCore64.sys is very old: Wed May 25 02:39:12 2005
The RTCore64.sys file belongs to an overclocking utility usually from EVGA
I'd suggest uninstalling the utility if you're not overclocking the card.
If you are overclocking, please return the system to stock settings while we troubleshoot.
Huh, I installed the latest version when I installed Windows 7, and I dont think the program is even that old(?). Anyway, I uninstalled EVGA Precision tool. Everything was at stock settings before, no overclocking. However I just received another bluescreen after uninstall...

Please make sure that the airflow to your video card is good, that there's no excessive dust/dirt clogging the card's cooler, and that the fan is working properly.
I have great airflow in my case, it is definitely not an overheating problem.

Thank you for the suggestions, I will upload the newest BSOD dump. Maybe it can provide another clue...:4-dontkno

EDIT (might help?):
My Nvidia display driver "Stopped working and recovered". I will see if there is a new version or a hotfix if there is a problem with my current driver. (which should be the newest version anyway...)

Attachments

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft MVP
7,483 Posts
Please run the Seatools Advanced test - IMO the basic test just isn't very thorough.
The Memtest should run for a minimum of 3 passes, with overnight being better.

The dump points at your video driver
The errors point at your video driver

So, completely uninstall the video driver, then install the latest WHQL certified driver from the nVidia website.

Nothing significant shown in the dump file - it was a STOP 0x1A: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error which blamed a core Windows system file.

Let's see if you get another, then we'll try some special settings in Driver Verifier.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will install the latest driver from Nvidia after uninstalling the current one, It's a newer version anyway.

I will also run an few passes of memtest86+ and do advanced tests w/ seatools just to be safe.:wink:

I"ll post back after the tests.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, I installed the latest nvidia driver, and ran advanced seatools tests, and both didnt affect my issues.
Then, I finally found some time to run a proper memtest, and sure enough, it displayed some errors :frown:

Ive uploaded a picture of the memtest errors. Can you determine which modules are affected by the errors? Is it possible to fix these errors? I will post my RAM specs below:

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184)
Capacity -8GB (4 x 2GB)
Speed -DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Cas Latency -5
Timing -5-5-5-18
Voltage -1.8V

Any advice would be appreciated. I would hate to have to RMA, especially around the holidays, but it looks like that's what I'm going to have to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I guess my next course of action would be to determine the bad stick(s) and the RMA them. (hopefully Corsair will allow me to RMA them, as these sticks are already RMA's).

Thank you for you help and patience with my issue. I will come here again for the consistent helpful advice! :smile:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.