Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have this weird problem. There is a folder on my second hard drive that has many folders with avi files in them. Normally I haven't had any problems, but lately, when I go to a subfolder and either try to open an avi file or scroll down the folder, it freezes up. I don't know why it is doing this, and it is ONLY this folder that is doing this. Opening avi files in other folders haven't had any problem whatsoever.

I tried transferring the files to a new folder, but same problem. So then I have to ctrl alt del and end task, which then of course says that ending the windows task or whatever, which causes the bottom taskbar to momentarily go away.

Also, I noticed that most of the time it says that Dr. Watson's Postmortem Debugger isn't working too. I don't know if that is why it is causing the problem or it is something else. Anyway, I could use some help please!

·
Banned
102 Posts
Windows Explorer previews files when you click on them. There is a known problem with .avi files crashing Explorer. You can use a registry edit to stop Explorer from previewing the files and crashing.

Remember to always back up your registry before editing.

1. Open up regedit
2. Goto HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler
3. Delete the "Default" value which should be "{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}"

Credit to TweakXP.com

I have also read that upgrading to Service Pack 2 will fix this problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How do I backup the registry?

Also, this won't hurt my computer at all? I mean, do I need this default entry? And is there a way to put it back in if I ever do need it?

·
Banned
102 Posts
Instructions for backing up and restoring your registry can be found HERE.

You can restore the registry to its previous state using the backup or you can save the registry key you delete and add it back to the registry.

This tweak won't harm your machine. It just changes the way Windows opens .avi files. It stops Windows from previewing the file -- which is what is causing the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.