Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My computer can be on for days and the screen can be frozen at say 10:10 a.m. this morning, after I had to restart, because nothing would work. Not even ctrl alt del. I have updated drivers, bios, and all windows updates. It is not overheating until after it has been left frozen for about 2 days. When it is restarted the cmos tells me the time and date are wrong and to hit f2 to load defaults. The battery is new and installed correctly in the mobo. I don't know where to go from here. Help!?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

Please post your complete system specs with Power supply maker and model
OS version

please download sandra lite (free) and then post your system temps / cpu temps / system voltages after computer has been running for an hour or better yet check these items right after running a complete through virus scan while defragging the hard drive at the same time (we want to load the system up to check its blood pressure )

http://www.download.com/3000-2086-10018691.html

regards

joe

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have downloaded the program, and while trying to run see what it was the computer just froze while I was trying to use it. I noticed that the temp was slowly climbling higher. I had to reboot. I'll tell you my specs as I know them, I'm not a whiz!
Asus P4P800 Deluxe P4 3.0, 512K Ram, Nvidia GeForce FX5600, 120 GB Maxtor Hd, Soundmax, Sony DVD, Memorex DVDRW, Floppy, Thermaltake Xaser III Mid Tower VM3000A Screwless Black Case, Lead Power? 500 Watt Supply. I'm running xp with sp2. Also have Satellite Internet service if that makes any difference, although no software is installed for that. I'm going to try to run the virus scan and defrag now. Where do I get the freq and volt from? Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Numbers-Sorry so long!

I'm trying to upload the file. I hope it works. Never mind, I didn't do something right! I'll try it again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok!

This maybe more info than what you wanted, but here goes, so I'm uploading a very large file! But thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, does anyone have any idea on what maybe going on? It has now started rebooting itself after it has froze up and I manually restarted, get it back up and get in the middle of something, nothing in peculiar, and it just restarts. Not all the time. I've run indepedent virus checks online, pc pitstop, symantec, and nothing. So I don't think it's a virus. But I don't know how to use the sandra software well enough to find a hardware problem. Any ideas welcome!

·
Registered
906 Posts
< Voltage Sensor(s) >
CPU Voltage: 1.62V Asus boards report high ***OK***
Aux Voltage: 3.18V
+3.3V Voltage: 3.36V
+5V Voltage: 5.05V
+12V Voltage: 15.50V ***BAD***
Standby Voltage: 4.58V

If this is correct then there is a problem with your Power supply, it should not be 15.50V. It needs to be within 5% of 12V to meet ATX standards.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I just checked sandra monitor on my machine and it is a little off. Do you have the ASUS probe installed? If not install it and see what your voltages are.

Post voltage and temps please.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With Thermaltake Skull case and P4P800 deluxe and 4 other fans what power supply would you recommend and from where? Thank you very much for the help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ran virus scan and defrag at the same time, here are the highest points
cpu temp 89
mb 87
12v 12.137
5v 5.08
3.3v 3.344
vcore 1.616

Do you think a video card could be the cause of the problems that I am having?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Those voltages look alot better than what sandra showed. What power supply do you have? Brand and Watts.

It could be lots of things, we just have to weed through them, a process of elimination. Sure the Graphics card could cause it but we need to try more things before coming to any conclusions.

Can you give me a bit more history on this problem, is this a recent problem or just start. How long did it run well before it started doing this? Was any new hardware or software installed just before this started, etc.

I noticed your bios issue, did you flash the bios? Why did you have to change the battery? Was the Bios giving you trouble before the battery change? Is the cmos clear jumper in the correct position?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Puter is not quite 2 years old, ran great for about the first year, then one day in Aug of last year the screen flashed and the time changed back to Dec 31 2001. So I tried to system restore. Needless to say that didn't work. I never found out why or what caused this. Formated the hd, reinstalled os, everything ran fine for the next year. Until almost a year later. In Aug, the computer starts going crazy, so I put a new battery in the mobo. Didn't help. I've updated all drivers. I keep windows updated. I run virus scan daily, also spyware and adware. Now it has started to just freeze up. ctrl alt del doesn't work, nothing. Just in the last 3 days when I manually have to restart it, and I get it back up, it may decide to just restart itself! There has been no new hardware in the last year.

I did flash the bios, I thought that was part of the problem with going back in time, also why I changed the battery.

Where is my cmos jumper supposed to be?

·
Registered
906 Posts
The CMOS CLR jumper should be on pins 1 and 2, you can find this in the motherboard manual.

Did you use the recommended AFUDOS utility to flash the Bios?
The battery may be bad and not supplying enough power to the Bios.

Does the date go back to the default year when the bios message comes up?

This could also be a short to the case. You could try removing the motherboard and putting it on a non conductive surface. Run the PC for a bit and see if it has problems. You can also visually inspect the board at this time to see if there is any damage. Do not touch the board while it is powered up and make sure you have no static charges while handling the board as these could damage the board.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, I checked my manual and it says mine is backwards default is 1-2 clr is 2-3. Mine is on default right now. That's how it came to me as I have never checked it before. Should I change it?

I tried to download to newest version of afudus from asus and could not find it. so I downloaded the newest version of my bios to a floppy and flashed it like that. It worked!

When the computer freezes the bios most of the time will go back to the same date of Dec 31 2001. I have again put a new battery in the mobo. Is there any other way to find out other than me taking the mobo out, to find out if there may be a short?

·
Registered
906 Posts
The jumper should be on 1-2, the default.

If you used the ezflash method that comes with the motherboard this could be a problem. Look here you will find the instructions and a link to the AFUDOS utility on the page.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Barry, I looked on the floppy that I used to update my bios with, and the reason that it worked is because I did use the afudus from that page. And the latest bios for my board is 1019.005.

I really appreciate your patients and help! :4-dontkno

·
Registered
906 Posts
Ok then we continue, if you have 2 ram sticks then remove one and see if your machine is stable. Swap the ram sticks to test both sticks seperately.

If the ram is ok then go into Bios and turn off Turbo mode if it is on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok, only have 1 512 stick, I tested with sandra software, tested ok, if that means anything.

and turbo is not on. it is on the default, which is standard I believe.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Ok let me ask a few questions to clarify a few things to possibly narrow down the problem.

How long after booting the PC does it take for it to freeze?

Does it freeze all the time or just occasionally?

Is the PC in a power saving mode when it freezes?

Does it freeze when sitting idle or are you running something?

What icons do you have in your system tray? (lower right corner by the time display)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.