Tech Support banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone throw some light on this problem?
My win7 pc keeps frezing at 2.12am every night without fail.
I have run virus scans using several antivirus and antispyware software but does not dectect anything.
Any help would be appeciated.
Cheers

·
Registered
40,882 Posts
Look in the Event Viewer for any issues. Also, look to the Task Scheduler to see if there are any tasks that are run at that time.
As you should know by now, Windows 7 is no longer supported. If you continue to have problems, we strongly suggest upgrading to Windows 10 it's still free.

·
Moderator, - Microsoft Support,BSOD Kernel Dump A
Olfactory training for spam detection.
5,865 Posts
You don't state what the PC is doing at that hour. Is it running something specific, or in Sleep or Hibernate modes? Does it freeze when it's not connected to your modem/router all night? What other devices are connected to it, directly or via your router?

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,617 Posts
Running Windows 7 on the Internet these days is asking for trouble so no doubt you have found it.
Time to do a clean install of Windows 10.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you have multiple AV products swirling around, that could be your issue. Try uninstalling ALL AV and anti-malware products. Remove all tuneup programs and cleaners. Win 7 only needs one AV product at the most and that's Microsoft Security Essentials. On my Win 7 machines, I don't even use that but for customers, I recommend MSE. Only.

·
Registered
31 Posts
...we strongly suggest upgrading to Windows 10 it's still free.
You say upgrading from Win7 to Win10 is still free, however, I've found confusing information about this process. The "upgrading" web page to which you provided the link says,
"Create Windows 10 installation media
To get started, you will FIRST need to have a license to install Windows 10. You can then download and run the media creation tool. For more information on how to use the tool, see the instructions below."

Yet ZDNET and others say the following:
"As of April 2020, you can still use Microsoft's free upgrade tools to install Windows 10 on an old PC running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. No product key is required, and the digital license says you're activated and ready to go."

I'm assuming people are using "license" and "product key" interchangeably???. Otherwise, where is the "license" that the download page says is required to install Win10?

I'd assume some others would be wary about writing over an existing Win7 installation only to find out AFTER THE FACT that this "digital license" is a sure thing.
(of course, one should have a full system backup of their Win7 installation (and anything important on the same disk) before trying the update.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My win7 pc keeps frezing at 2.12am every night without fail.
Are you certain it's "freezing" or just taking a very long time with a high priority process? Such can really slow things down to the point of near inoperability...especially if you leave your PC on for long periods of tiem and there isn't much free memory or cache to work with.

Defragging, for example, can take a VERY long time and if you never let it finish because you thought the PC was frozen...it will always need full defragging when the schedule triggers it again. You might try doing a manual analyze to see if defragging is occurring, and if not try a manual defrag to see if it's taking a really long time and making it LOOK like your PC is frozen.
ControlPanel>>SystemAndSecurity>>AdministrativeTools>>DefragmentYourHardDrive

·
Registered
42 Posts
If your Win 7 is activated, you can upgrade for free using the upgrade site at MS. It still works. I would back up your irreplaceable personal data first. Also note that some programs won't make the jump to Win 10. Once this install is done and you've verified that Win 10 is activated with a digital license, I would use the opportunity to do a clean Win 10 install. No product key will be needed for future reinstalls of Win 10 because your system board will be registered on the activation servers as "Win 10 activated". You can get a Win 10 iso from Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool which will allow you to download an iso of the appropriate version (32 or 64bit; Home or Pro). Pick the one that your system upgraded to. You can burn to disk (requires a DVD dual layer) or use rufus to make a bootable flash drive with a capacity of 8GB or more. If memory serves, the media creation tool from microsoft makes a UEFI boot drive which will not work with older systems.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,617 Posts
You say upgrading from Win7 to Win10 is still free, however, I've found confusing information about this process. The "upgrading" web page to which you provided the link says,
"Create Windows 10 installation media
To get started, you will FIRST need to have a license to install Windows 10. You can then download and run the media creation tool. For more information on how to use the tool, see the instructions below."

Yet ZDNET and others say the following:
"As of April 2020, you can still use Microsoft's free upgrade tools to install Windows 10 on an old PC running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. No product key is required, and the digital license says you're activated and ready to go."

I'm assuming people are using "license" and "product key" interchangeably???. Otherwise, where is the "license" that the download page says is required to install Win10?

I'd assume some others would be wary about writing over an existing Win7 installation only to find out AFTER THE FACT that this "digital license" is a sure thing.
(of course, one should have a full system backup of their Win7 installation (and anything important on the same disk) before trying the update.
The COA you need to use to install Windows 10 is a Windows 7 or 8 Coa not currently in use.

·
Registered
40,882 Posts
COA, License and Product key are interchangeable and mean roughly the same thing. If your computer is not a custom build, but a name brand (ie) Dell, Acer, HP etc, there is a Windows 7 product key sticker on the back of the desktop computer or the bottom of a laptop computer with the key that you can use, if Windows asks for it.
You can upgrade from the previously Linked Windows 10 page, or you can make a USB Flash drive installer using the Media Creation Tool, once the Flash drive is burned, you can double click it to open it and double click Setup.exe to start the Upgrade. If you have software that can open an ISO image like WINRAR or whatever, you can save the Windows 10 ISO image to your HDD before burning it to the USB and open it with that app and double click Setup.exe to uprade
Upgrading to Windows 10 will probably solve your problem, but I am sure there is a task in the Task Scheduler that is set to run at the time the computer is freezing at. If you cancel the schedule of this task, that problem will go away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts