Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a custom PC, picked out the components, and they put it together for me. 2-3 months ago. Ever since I got it, I've had a problem with it randomly freezing up (whole screen just freezes the way it is). Happened in any situation from an idle desktop, to the windows boot screen w/ logo/progress bar, to 2-3 hours into playing WoW on highest settings, so I couldn't narrow it down to a specific situation. It was reccomended to me that I test 1) RAM 2) PSU 3) Video. So today, after getting completely sick of the lock-ups, I took out one of my 2 1GB DDR2 (pc6400) sticks, it still froze. Took that out and tried it with just the other one. Still Froze. So I put both back in, thinking that it wasn't a memory issue. Tried to boot up the computer, and it hung right before it usually beeps and finds my memory/HD's.

So here's what the problem looks like now:

Normally, when I start the computer, the power button lights up blue. Now I try and turn it on, and the drives spin up and my fans turn on, and the MB green led inside is on...but the power button doesn't light up blue, and nothing shows up on my monitor.

I took out my PCI-e 8600GT and plugged it into the on-board, with only monitor/mouse/power/keyboard plugged in. It'll spin up, fans on, beep once like it's supposed to, but still nothing on the screen.

I tried unplugging -everything- from the MB, and plugging it all back in, making sure it wasn't a loose connection somewhere. No change.

I was tempted to go out and grab a new PSU -and- memory and just replace both, and hope one of them was the issue, but I'd like to get some idea of what the problem could be, since it went from lock-ups to not even booting up or POST with no power button light on.

any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
EDIT:

After giving up out frustration, I let the system sit off for an hour or two. Turned it back on and prayed... POST okay, sigh of relief. But then I'm back to the initial problem of it freezing. It hasn't successfully stayed on for more than a minute or two now, freezing in BIOS, on Windows loading screen, a few seconds after desktop loads. Still thinking memory or PSU..CMOS battery. I don't really have the money to waste though, so I can't just replace all 3, if I'm replacing something, it's got to be one thing. Any help?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
you betcha

what is the make and model of your power supply

have you tried memtest yet ?????

have you tired a hard drive diagnostics test yet ?

what are your system temps ? both idle and working hard ????

download and use sensorsview pro (14 day trial) for that ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've run memtest, everything except the 90 minute test you have to select seperately from the others. No errors came up.

I checked all temps when the freezing started (and I could actually still boot to Windows, as opposed to the mess it is now). 32-41C for the MB and CPU. 53-61 for my 8600GT. All of which was within safe/normal ranges from the info I found.

PSU has no model#, just says Echo Star 600W and the V/A info sticker. It's a 20+4 pin
MB is Asus M2A-VM w/ Athlon 64 X2 4800+
2GB (1x1GB) Super Talent (T800UB1GV) DDR2-800 PC6400 RAM
PCI-e 8600GT 512M nVidia, no brand name on the card besides nVidia

Can't run any programs/scans at this point since, assuming it starts at all, it freezes within 10-90s of pressing the power button.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have also had the same problem i have been recormended to get a new power supply and it dose make sence. So i am getting a new powersupply soon, i will let you know if this solves the problem and then you know what to do to fix it :) in the mean time, GOOD LUCK :) and also if you work out a way of fixing it them do tell me. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i added 512 to my sons pc running windos vista ultimate but the pc didnt recognise it so i took it out and now my sons pc comes on but you get nothing through the monitor its like the graphics have went but surely that cant be related to changing mem,hope some 1 can help me out here ??

·
Registered
4 Posts
i had also put the same bit of mem in an other pc that stopped working after it ,tit just takes you sofar in the boot process then shuts down ,i chaneged the pow sup still no change can corrupt mem do this kind of damage???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: I replaced the PSU (reliable Antec 500W, brand new) and RAM, still the same problem. Starting up drives/fans but no display and no light-up on the power button.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
does the motherboard LED stay lit ???? its a small green led

starting to sound like you have a defective motherboard ...... unfortunately repairing computers is a game of parts swapping >>>>> a more experienced computer builder will nab the problem with less guesses, but in the end thats all there really is

have a look at mwave.com / click on refurbished / then click on motherboards you will find a decent selection for dirt cheap prices

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.