Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Plain and simple, out of the blue my main PC has begun to freeze. At random intervals.
It sometimes freezes at POST,sometimes at BIOS, sometimes at win XP loading screen, sometimes at Desktop, sometimes at windows XP installation cd screen.

The first thing I tried to do was boot to safe mode and it froze before the OS loading screen. Second try it made it to desktop but still froze before I could do anything.

The second thing I did was attempt to replace my main PC's power supply with my secondary PC's power supply (both of which were identical).

HAZZAA I said. Alas, I was mistaken when it continued to crash as normal. I put the main Power supply into my secondary tower and it worked fine.

SO I concluded the issue was not the power supply. I have not entirely ruled out malware, yet I doubt this since it will even freeze at POST.

I turn to you my friends, to help me with this issue. I am intermediate PC user yet I know a lot is still beyond me.

J.K.Lawless

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
what are you running
video card
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
wattage

check the listings in the bios for voltages and temperatures and post them

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what are you running-Windows XP Pro 32 bit

video card-ATI Radeon X1050

cpu-Intel
m/board-Intel D915GAG

ram-2.5GB

power supply- 2 labels on it. IN WIN?, and Power Man?...... not sure which is the brand...
wattage-Max output 240W +3.3V&+5V= 120W (max) +3.3V &+12V+227

Processor Zone: 82 DegreeS C\\
Zone 1: 40,1 orE c
Zone2: 42 nicole is pushing it.

1.5 Vin 1.454
Vccp 1.317 V
+ 3.3in 3.293
+5Vin 5.167
12Vin 12.000

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
The PSU label is confusing....I've never seen a PSU with two barnds on the label.
InWin PSU's are not good quality. PowerMan makes decent low powered PSU's.
240W is on the low side anyway.
I would suggest trying a good quality 350-400W PSU.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Believe it or not. SO you guys are saying it might be supplying to low of wattage.... do you think the video card was the problem? Draining too much current or watts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK... I can't figure out how to edit my last message.

I forgot to mention, when I was checking the system temp and voltages, I got a POST error;

"Serial Presence detect (SPD) device data missing or inconclusive. Properly programmed SPD device data is required for reliable operation. DDR 333MHz memory assumed at slowest timings.'

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
SO you guys are saying it might be supplying to low of wattage.... do you think the video card was the problem? Draining too much current or watts?
Not sure about the GPU but you should certainly replace the PSU with a quality one. Seasonic and Corsair are good PSU's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok So the line i usually used for hard drive seems bad. I plugged in the power line I usually have on my CD drive, (i only have 3 lines of this type, 1 is in MOBO) into my hard drive and now it boots and runs perfectly fine without ever freezing. I am financially unable to buy myself a PSU, so this workaround will have to suffice. Besides, my other PC can run the Movies :p. I just wanna game on this one.

I think you figured it out dai. The line that is not supplying sufficient amps must have been the faulty one that was in the hard drive.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
it's probably gone out because it was overloaded

your playing with fire running it underpowered,when they go if you are lucky you just lose the psu

if you are unlucky they can take just about everything with them

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
that power supply is a winpower pro, these are like what petrol is to fire get rid of straight away otherwise you risk having it die on you and take the rest of your pc with it.

You say you are financially unable to buy a new power supply, are you financially able to buy a new PC? if you do not replace this PSU ASAP that is what you will have to do.

I know what I have said sounds a bit harsh but it is a reality and I do not want you to end up with no PC.

I once tested these powr supplies for a customer and for the life of me I do not understand how they can state that (the one I was testing) was 700w when it was churning at 385w.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your help guys. I have a feeling it did infact take out other parts of the PC too because I tried an identical (working) PSU on the PC and it still had the same problems. ( the other working PSU is from an identical tower that I use as my backup PC that is working fine. )

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
if it is the same make of power supply get rid of it. Trust me you will at some point get the same problem.

Unfortuantely power supplies only have to be made to a minimum standard and you get what you pay for with them. The power supply should always be your main priority when using a computer because a power supply converts AC electrical current to low voltage DC current if you get a cheap one with cheap components then this conversion can go wrong and this is what happens when a psu fails.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.