Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have just bought 2 old PC's for £10 each from a business that was getting rid of them. They are relatively crap Intel Cyrix 200Mhx processors but with a respectable 128mb RAM and 10gb hdd's so they should have no probs running Win 98.

Now both freeze at the very end of the Windows installation process. Once all the files have been coped to the hdd and it is doing the final bits and bobs it stops with the screen looking like this:

mode con codepage prepare: ((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)

MODE prepare code page function completed

C:\> Mode con codepage select:850

MODE select code page function

C:\> keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys

C:\>

Now if I remove the win 98 cd and boot it up in diagnostic mode (the one where you see a line and then enter to accept it) it freezes at a mouse line. This seems to make sense as you can see above that it finds the keyboard files and logically you would think that the mouse files are next hence the blank line.

Now my mouse is a cordless one. Could the age of the PC's mean it doesn't recognise the mouse attached to it (it does work though throughout the installation process)?

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope JohnWill I haven't.

I have been suggested that I can take the mouse.com line out of the autoexec.bat file because win98 uses it own?

Cheeers

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now then it boots in safe mode and in device manager everything seems to be ok.

The autoexec.bat file says this:

C:\> Mode con codepage select:850

MODE select code page function

C:\> keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys

Which is exactly the same as it shows before it crashes. Can I manually edit the file in safe mode with something to get it to boot?

Cheers

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I'm not totally up one the code page stuff for other languages ( even though you guys claim to speak english :D ), but for use here, I just rename the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT to .BAK for debugging, you don't need any of that stuff to startup W98.

Obviously, I'd remove the mouse driver in AUTOEXEC.BAT, because you indeed don't need it for W98 to run.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know what guys I found a post on this problem on google and a suggestion was to go into regedit and delete the enum folder under local machine. Did that it re-installed the last 10 mins and voila all is well!

Thanks for your help guys.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
mcornbill said:
You know what guys I found a post on this problem on google and a suggestion was to go into regedit and delete the enum folder under local machine. Did that it re-installed the last 10 mins and voila all is well!

Thanks for your help guys.
Interesting... Deleting the ENUM key is normally the way to move to different hardware.:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.