Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, and thank you soo much for helping!!

I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate Home Edition with unknown service pack addition. The machine is an inspiron 1720 and is about 1.5 years old.

The problem I am having is that my machine will freeze after about 15-20 minutes when it is left alone. If I am using it it runs fine. But say I leave and come back about 30 minutes later it will be completely frozen. I will have to hold the power off button to turn it off and then turn it back on.

Just today a problem appeared from the computer saying "A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly."

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem
WD-20090806-1559.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: 8514B510
BCP2: 8F80BFC0
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

That is what I could find from it. This problem has been on going for a few weeks. After the freezing problem started I ran into a nasty trojan horse, but through the help of Chemist on your forum, I was able to defeat the virus!!! The problem continued after the virus issue and started before it (so I think its completely different???)

Thank you again for you help and hopefully we can get this fixed!!

·
Enthusiast
2,865 Posts
Is it set to sleep or hibernate after a period of time?
It may be having trouble waking up.
I have mine set to monitor off after 15 mins and sleep set to never.
Try those settings and see if it is any better.
Right click the desktop|personalize|screen saver|change power settings|change when computer sleeps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try those, but it was set to NEVER AND NEVER for when the monitor turned off and when it was set to sleep.

From what I can tell I don't have it set to sleep or hibernate whatsoever.

·
Registered
50 Posts
my hp pavilion notebook with Vista is doing the same thing. Had been getting a threat removed notification everytime firefox opened. Tried running IE, same problem.

Really hope someone offers some solutions, so i can fix mine too.

considering dumping Vista altogether in favor of XP or maybe LINUX.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.