Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Moderator, Design Team
12,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...not sure if this is the correct/best place in the forum for this...mods please move if necessary

My son's gaming rig has been suffering intermittent performance, boot & freeze issues for the last 18 months or so and we aren't sure which element is responsible.

Rig specs are as follows:

Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme4
GPU: Galaxy GeForce GTX 760 2GB
CPU: Intel Core i7 4820K Quad Core LGA 2011 3.7GHz
RAM: 16GB: Corsair Vengeance CML16GX3M4A1600C9 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3
PSU: Corsair TX-650 V2 80+ Bronze Power Supply
Disk: Samsung 840 EVO Series 120GB 2.5" SATA3 Solid State Drive (SSD)

In his words:

"Over the past couple of years my computer would sporadically freeze while the GPU was under heavy load and I'd get a buzzing sound from speakers. Upon turning it off it would then not start up properly, whirring and then stopping, with the monitor just flashing on standby not displaying any screen. Got two different errors from the motherboard during the times it wouldn't boot:

"Problem related to memory. Please re-install the CPU and memory then clear CMOS. If the problem still exists, please install only one memory module or try using other memory modules."

After re-seating the RAM I didn't get this issue again.

"The VGA could not be recognized. Please clear CMOS and try re-installing the VGA card. If the problem still exists, please try installing the VGA card in other slots or use other VGA cards"

I temporarily solved the problem of it not booting by moving the graphics card from the first PCI-E slot to a few different slots and while the computer would start up, the link speed (even in the 2nd slot) was well below 16x2.0 (1.1 x 2.0, etc).

After running it for a week at 1x2.0 in the slot furthest away from the CPU I moved the card back to the first slot and after a few reseat attempts it was back working at 16x2.0. It has been fine for 1.5 months until today, when it was again under heavy load, my game FPS dropped noticeably so I opened GPU-Z/CPU-Z and the link-width had dropped to 4x2.0. It's currently consistently 4x2.0 with a noticeable drop in performance in high load areas (the GPU-Z render test still has it at 4x2.0. No freezes yet but I think it's only a matter of time.

Given it's quite sporadic I don't know if testing a different GPU would help or not.

Is this a GPU or motherboard issue? PSU?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.