Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running XP Professional and while playing a video game or watching a DVD my internal hard drive repeats a click and spinning up cylcle until my audio crackles and goes intermittent and then the screen freezes and I have to restart my computer. It also takes a long time to reboot. I would appreciate any advice you might offer. I have tried reinstalling the sound and video drivers. Thanks! Sam

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Hello and welcome to TSF.
Download the drive manufacturers disk utility and run a diagnostic against the drive. You can five the appropriate app download in my sig below.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ran WD hard drive scan and it passed!

Thanks for your reply. I tried the scan and it passed the tests. Any other thoughts. THanks! Sam

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
System Spec's

I have a Pent4 2.20mghz processor with a Western Digital 80gig internal drive with Windows XP Pro. An external 200 gig drive, internal DVD/CD drive, external DVD/CD drive, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro video card, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card, a network card (attached to a cable modem) and a USB/Firewire card. I have less than 1/3 of the available space used on both drives. I built the system myself a few years ago and have done some upgrades, but nothing recent. Thanks! Sam

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PSU info

I had the Power supply replaced about a year ago by a local tech. He said it is plenty of power for my system. When I had Power supply problems before the machine would restart sporadically. This isn't anything like that. The sceen usually goes black during the video playback. Sometimes I can get it back up and sometimes I have to reboot. Thanks again for your help.
Sam

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Won't run Disk check

Says volume is in use by another process. I chose to run on start up and restarted but it didn't seem to work. What am I doing wrong? Thanks SAM

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
try it from the recovery console
to get to the recovery console,boot from the xp disk and choose install
when the repair option comes up press R when it asks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.