Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help installing FreeDOS, I am not sure when I boot FreeDOS on my computer from a Compact Disk or USB stick if it will be able to go back to my regular version of windows. Please help.

·
Premium Member
41,895 Posts
You do not install FreeDOS to your C: drive. If you boot from a USB Stick or CD with FreeDOS on it, the DOS OS is on the removable device. If you remove the removable device, or choose not to boot from it, it will boot into Windows.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One more question, I haven't used FreeDOS yet, but is there any way to browse the internet in FreeDOS mode? And how do I boot from a flashdrive on windows 8?

·
Premium Member
41,895 Posts
If you have a bootable Flash drive. You would boot off of the USB drive in Windows 8 as you would any other Windows OS. Boot into Setup (Bios) go to Boot Priortiy and change the boot order to USB as first boot device. Save and Exit
If you have a UEFI Bios on your computer, you may need to build a USB Flash drive with this utility: How To Make UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 8 | Next of Windows

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,619 Posts
FreeDOS is a free alternative to MSDOS. There are DOS web browsers available but they are very primitive by modern standards and compatibility with modern websites is not good. Configuring such a browser is not simple. Not very practical.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your help and time, I've searched the internet for days and haven't found
how to make a UEFI bootable pen drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.