Tech Support banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Can I get a recommendation for a free virtual machine? Preferably lightweight. I plan to use for browsing and downloading work files (so I can upload these to Google Drive for scanning).

I am currently using version 1809, build 17763.805. TIA.

·
Premium Member
41,521 Posts
I plan to use for browsing and downloading work files
Do you mean a Virtual Private Network to access your work computer?
A Virtual Machine would be a secondary Operating System that is embedded and hosted on your local computer. Like Oracles Virtual Box. You would not be able to download files from a work computer in a VM. Do you have an IT dept. at your work that can set you up with a VPN?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Corday. I'll check this.

Do you mean a Virtual Private Network to access your work computer?
A Virtual Machine would be a secondary Operating System that is embedded and hosted on your local computer. Like Oracles Virtual Box. You would not be able to download files from a work computer in a VM. Do you have an IT dept. at your work that can set you up with a VPN?
No, I mean VM. I want to be able to browse in an isolated/contained environment so if I do download malware, it will not affect my computer. I don't have an IT department to reach out to. This was most likely a work computer as I bought it from a surplus shop.

Also, will I need a separate license to run Windows from inside a VM?

·
Premium Member
41,521 Posts
A Virtual Machine would be a secondary Operating System that is embedded and hosted on your local computer. Like Oracles Virtual Box.
Running a VM will not protect you from Viruses, because the VM is run inside your OS, and a Virus that is downloaded in the VM can still infect the Host computer. You will need a separate license for any Windows OS running in a VM.

If this is a surplus computer, Did you do a Clean Install of Windows? Anytime you buy a used computer, you should do a Clean Install to remove any thing left over from the last owner.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,099 Posts
I think there's confusion between a Virtual Machine and a Sandbox.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think there's confusion between a Virtual Machine and a Sandbox.
Running a VM will not protect you from Viruses, because the VM is run inside your OS, and a Virus that is downloaded in the VM can still infect the Host computer.
I see. Thank you both for explaining.

I had looked into Sandboxie before but the new version being maintained seems difficult to install. Or I most likely am missing a step. It keeps asking me to end Microsoft click-to-run so I thought a different tool might be a better option (hence the inquiry about VMs).

Aside from Sandboxie, is there another sandbox (aside from Microsoft's), that I can look into?

If this is a surplus computer, Did you do a Clean Install of Windows? Anytime you buy a used computer, you should do a Clean Install to remove any thing left over from the last owner.
Not yet, I plan to do so after I have saved for a license.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,099 Posts
I see. Thank you both for explaining.

I had looked into Sandboxie before but the new version being maintained seems difficult to install. Or I most likely am missing a step. It keeps asking me to end Microsoft click-to-run so I thought a different tool might be a better option (hence the inquiry about VMs).

Aside from Sandboxie, is there another sandbox (aside from Microsoft's), that I can look into?
Many including Bitbox and Buffer Zone.

·
Premium Member
41,521 Posts
Not yet, I plan to do so after I have saved for a license.
You say the computer you got is a Surplus Computer. I was speaking of doing a Clean Install of Windows on the computer itself, not the VM. You would use the same product key the computer already has to activate Windows. the Product key should be embedded in the Bios, if using UEFI Bios and no need to type it in it should activate automatically. Or if it is a name brand computer, will have a product key on a sticker on the back or bottom of the computer.
If you are thinking of a VM, if you have any computer running Windows 7, 8 or 10 that you are not using, you can use that license to activate Windows 10 in the VM. Windows 10 will work for 90 days without being activated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many including Bitbox and Buffer Zone.
Thanks, both are enterprise products though. I only need one for personal use.

You say the computer you got is a Surplus Computer. I was speaking of doing a Clean Install of Windows on the computer itself, not the VM. You would use the same product key the computer already has to activate Windows. the Product key should be embedded in the Bios, if using UEFI Bios and no need to type it in it should activate automatically. Or if it is a name brand computer, will have a product key on a sticker on the back or bottom of the computer.
If you are thinking of a VM, if you have any computer running Windows 7, 8 or 10 that you are not using, you can use that license to activate Windows 10 in the VM. Windows 10 will work for 90 days without being activated.
Yes, I got that. And I tried to use the current license but it says it's still tied to the previous owner (company) I cannot even update Windows, that's why I wanted to get a license for myself instead.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts