Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I get better FPS in games? Does hardware acceleration or combo writing help in this area? I have hardware acceleration on full and combo writing on. I had a CRT monitor and I never had FPS problems, not that I have a new LCD I am getting slight problems. So could it be the new monitor causing low FPS or does that have nothing to do with it?

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
If the new monitor has a high response time, that could be causing your problems. What is the brand and model of the monitor (unless you know what its response time is)?

Hardware acceleration determines how much work your video card does - so turning it up full is the best idea, and will give you best performance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the LCM-22w2 22 inch westinghouse monitor. Lowering the hardware acceleration has really improved my FPS for this one game. Is that a smart way to fix this problem or is there a better approach?

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
The response times good for that model at 5 ms. I used to have one, still lying around somewhere.

For better FPS a good CPU and GPU are needed.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
3,450 Posts
Lowering the hardware acceleration has really improved my FPS for this one game. Is that a smart way to fix this problem or is there a better approach?

It depends on the game. In general you want Hardware acceleration at max, thereby allowing the GPU (You graphics card) to work at it's fullest potential.
Some games, however, use software rendering that isn't reliant on your GPU. In such cases having Hardware acceleration on when the game is using software rendering can interefere, causing the drop in FPS.

Mostly though, Hardware acceleration is best left at full.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.