Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After going onto CSS for a game the first thing i tried was the stress test, it gave me 84.4 fps at the end. So then happy with my fps i went in and played.. it shot straight down to 20 fps for the whole game. i tried the stress test again and it gave me 20 fps.
Its like when i start up a game for the first time it works excellent and then goes to crap. Its does the same thing in alot of other games too.

Specs are 512 mb RAM , 3.2 Proc P4 , Geforce 6600 GT 128 MB AGP8x

Need some help please.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
everytime i start a new game , i just tried a benchmark and it gave me 518 and the card is supposed to give 1355 or around that.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
What were the settings during the stress test, and are they different to the in-game settings?

EDIT: Did you look into Compumaniac's suggestion about heat? What are your PSU readings?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not that computer knowlegable so could u tell me where i can find the psu readings? and i used lower settings in css but all my games do the same thing

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Download Everest Home Edition (free) from www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en

Open Computer in the left-hand menu and go to Sensor where you will find your hard drive temperatures and PSU voltages.

The readings will be lower when you first switch on your PC. When you play a graphically-intensive game like CSS, they will go up as more demand is placed on your hardware.

If all your games are doing this, then overheating or a poor quality PSU are possible causes.

Are your chipset and graphics drivers up to date?

Go to Start > Run and type dxdiag for more information (Display tab)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It has been running since about 1pm today, i dont know if the fan is spinning and im not gonna find out becoz i'll mess the whole pc up if i try get into it.
No i havent put any compound on the cpu.

And heres the whole sensor thing.

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type Winbond W83627THF (ISA 290h)

Temperatures
Motherboard 50 °C (122 °F)
CPU 80 °C (176 °F)
Aux 31 °C (88 °F)
Seagate ST3160021A 53 °C (127 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 2812 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.31 V
Aux 1.28 V
+3.3 V 3.30 V
+5 V 5.03 V
+12 V 11.97 V
+5 V Standby 5.09 V
VBAT Battery 2.62 V
Debug Info F FF 3C FF
Debug Info T 50 80 31
Debug Info V 80 50 CE BB BB 00 00 (01)

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
The PSU readings look ok. Switch off for a few hours to let it cool down with the case or side-panel removed, then take the temperatures again to eliminate overheating as a possible cause.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont think its overheating myself but incase it not what other things could be done to fix it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmm i just tried the video card stability test there and it started out over 1000 then dropped after about 14 seconds maybe it is overheating.earlier i was trying and it was at 400 and stuff like that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The temps are only a bit lower with the case off right now

EDIT : The CPU Temp has shot upto 85*c

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type Winbond W83627THF (ISA 290h)

Temperatures
Motherboard 35 °C (95 °F)
CPU 65 °C (149 °F)
Aux 31 °C (88 °F)
Seagate ST3160021A 32 °C (90 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 2961 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.34 V
Aux 1.28 V
+3.3 V 3.30 V
+5 V 5.03 V
+12 V 12.10 V
+5 V Standby 5.09 V
VBAT Battery 2.62 V
Debug Info F FF 39 FF
Debug Info T 35 65 31
Debug Info V 85 50 CE BB BD 00 00 (01)

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Your CPU temp is crazy high and running it without any thermal compound is asking for problems. Try running the PC with a small fan blowing into it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i dont have a spare fan atm but im going to buy some pc fans 2moro
is it just the small ones to buy to cool down the cpu?
could some1 also circle the cpu inside a pic of a pc as i dont know which one it is thx

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
If you don't know what you're doing, I think it might be better to take it to a PC repair shop, print out this page and explain the problem to them.

Ask them to test it for you, check the fans and apply some high quality thermal compound. Good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.