Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible to format a hard disk from anywhere in startup such as from bios or ahh.. i dunno... or with a boot disk?

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
Not from bios, unless your bios has a low level format command. (have not seen that for a long time)

You can also put the command in autoexec.bat on a bootable floppy.

Why would you want to automate a format?

Sorry, don't know if linux has anything. Haven't used it.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
problem is someone messed with my linux comp when i was away at school ( prolly lil bro) and now i can no longer boot my computer fully. I can get into bios and if i let the computer try to boot it goes as far as to say system board conflict. What conflict? i do not know and furthermore, how could a conflict exhist when there was none b4. i've opened the comp and nothing appears to be changed. after the conflict message i also recieve another message "press (f1) to enter setup or press (esc) to boot" if i press esc i can boot into the linux boot disk and begin a new instalation for linux, which i what i want, but, i can't identify my cdrom now. It isn't given in the list of possible cd roms. it is recognized by bios as an adaptec NEC drive. i'm lost and just need any help. don't want to have to buy new hard disks and then install linux so that i can format the old ones. any help is appreciated. and no there isn't a low level format option in my bios unfotunately.

·
1,038 Posts
Is there a setting in the cmos for PNP OS?

If there is, change that to no or disable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i usually don't touch my cmos... for that matter i don't think i know how to get to it... is it in setup?..i am a nube at meddling with anything but a windows sys and i don't mess with that too much either.. can u direct further?

·
1,038 Posts
When your computer turns on, somtimes you will see the video card version and ram, then a POST screen that counts memory enumerates drives, etc.. (Or a splash screen like HP, Compaq, ASUS, etc) Usually you can press DEL key or on the screen it will say press esc or f2 or whatever to enter setup.

If you have a splash screen come up, usually pressing the "esc" key will hide it and show the POST screen.

I can't directly guide you through your cmos settings, but maybe you could find a manual for your motherboard or computer to help you out. All bios/cmos settings change and are different on a lot of computers. If you aren't sure, maybe find a friend or a computer shop take a look at it for you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry was unsure if bios and cmos were the same thing. i've been in there and there isn't an option for PNP OS. it's a pretty simple and old bios. the hardware except hard disks are all origional (1992 ?). n e ways, the option doesn't exhist on my comp. thanks though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.