Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello im a newbie so if i have this in the wrong forum, sorry :tongue2: anyway i had windows XP installed on my hard-drive and i decided to format it because it was getting too cluttered and it had messed up because of it. I found a diskette near my computer which said "master CD" on it, so i put it in and MS-DOS appeared and told me the Windows 98 CD was loading, halfway through loading it said "cannot detect CD-ROM please check cables and try again" i checked them and they were all plugged in so i carried on with the disk and i typed: A:\Format C: it gave me a warning that everything on my hard-drive will be deleted if i carried on so i carried on, it formatted my hard-drive, deleted everything etc. i restarted my computer and tooki the diskette out and put the windows XP CD in and instead of asking me if i wanted to boot from hard-drive or CD-ROM the computer just said "invalid system disk. please insert disk and press any key to continue" does anyone know how i can install windows back onto my hard-drive? ive followed the same steps as before when i formatted it and its not working this time for some strange reason. :no:

·
Registered
126 Posts
First make sure that your computer is set to boot from the CD this should be made the first bootable drive. Have a look at the boot order in your bios, reset it to boot from the CD first. Then restart the unit with the CD in the drive, I would suggest a cold restart.
If your still having problems let us know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i tried changing it earlier, the boot sequence at the moment is

1. Floppy Drive
2. Hard-drive

CD-ROM is not listed anywhere

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i tried the XP boot disks from the microsoft site and after it had finished extracting all the files from the disks and it said it was ready to install windows XP, it said no CD-ROM could be detected, the machine is fairly old.

P3 1GHz
Dell Optiplex GX110
Maxtor 20GB hard-drive
Acer CD-RW
Maxtor CD-rom
192mb SDRAM
64Mb Ge-Force 2
Floppy drive
ZIP drive

sorry if i havent listed the model numbers its cos i dunno what they are.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Your boot disk needs to load the drivers for your CD ROM's on bootup.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The MS website I gave you should give you a boot floopy with a generic CD driver set.
Dell computers have a tag number which can normaly be found on a label on the outside of the case and in the bios. A visit to the Dell website at http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home.asp will give you access to all of the drivers and bios updates for your model.
From my experance Dell P3 computers should be able to boot from a CD have another look in the bios. You may wish to update the bios from the website. However you may have a hardware problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
sometimes the option to boot from cd is seperate from the boot order. One of my systems has an option to boot from cd in a totally different section. Instead of being with the main configuration stuff, it's with the enhanced features and u just select enable for boot from cd.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Normally, if you put the XP cd in the cd-rom, and you boot up the puter with the formatted drive, XP will auto launch.

Just make sure the jumpersetting on the CD-rom are correct. Iirc there are three settings: CS-SL-MA. I think the CD-rom should work when you set the jumper on CS.

Worked for me prefectly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Go to www.bootdisk.com get a good boot disk. Find smartdrive and put it on the boot disk as well it will speed things up. FDISK make sure it is fat 32 or u will have to delete primary partiton and recreate one >>Restart than try booting up from boot disk.. If it doesnt pick up your cd rom u will have to get the drivers for it from the manufactuer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.