Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i have a question. I just replaced a motherboard/processor, power supply, and video card. i went to format the hard drive, and it said that the format was complete and successfull showing all 80gb of the space (we used the original windows 98 setup disk which performed the format).

now, we get to a place where it says windows is starting for the first time, and the loading bar at the bottom goes real slow, and we have yet to see a desktop. is this a format problem, or is there something else that could be causing this? we've even gone to reboot in dos and did the format c: and it said it was successful there as well. i cannot get the windows desktop to show up!!

any help on this would be greatly appreciated. :tongue:

·
retired
1,966 Posts
Looks to be a possible hardware problem, or bios not set properly-everyone should always do bios setup first before installing an OS on a new motherboard (the 'out of the box' cmos data is likely garbage that must be cleared first).

Use an 80 conductor IDE data cable, the primary drive must be connected to the end (black) connector.

mobo ]--blue-------grey-------black--[hdd

The CD Rom drive should be on secondary IDE cable so it doesn't interfere with the hdd speed.

BIOS...
Set bios to AUTO detect drives.

The bios should identify these drives properly by model name, if it shows some generic text or gibberish then there is a connection or firmware problem.

Do the Fail safe or Optimum settings and Plug/Play OS = yes. Also reset ESCD so the cmos is cleared, save and exit. If post doesn't say ESCD updated then power off, wait a minute then power on.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.