Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all :wave: ,
i am new to this forum. I recently bought a 1TB Toshiba external hard drive (EHD) and by default the file system is Fat32. I want to format it to NTFS and i have windows vista os with sp1.

While i was doing a normal format, i found that after 10% of the format it doesn't go forward and just stops there. Even after hours it still doesn't move forward. So, i cancelled it and did a quick format which finished in few seconds. Now, when i attempted the normal format the problems reoccurs. It is a new drive and i want to make sure i fully format it before i start using it. Someone please help me.

·
Banned
3,542 Posts
Re: Formatting External Hard Drive

Hi & Welcome.

Hmm, have you tried simply using your CMD to complete the task at hand?

Start | Run... | Type "FORMAT X:" (X being the drive letter - DON'T guess, as if you choose the incorrect one, it will wipe ALL your data!) | Follow the onscreen instructions. HTH

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

I am sorry, i have Toshiba Laptop Equium L40 17M with 1.60 GHz, 2GB RAM and Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1. My external Hard Drive is Toshiba PX1396U-3T01, 1TB and USB 2.0.

·
Banned
3,542 Posts

It's okay, it's only natural to be kind of snappy when you're under so much stress - and trust me - working with computers and having a broken computer is very stressful. I've always found that tea helps this...

Anyways, back on the topic train.

You have a Toshiba Equium L40 17M and You've Got Vista Home Premium, OK. So, I'll try and find your diagnostic tools.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Dude, the problem is with the external hard drive and not that of the laptop drive. My laptop is working fine. I have also tried formatting with my friends laptop with XP operating system, the same result it stucks!

·
Banned
3,542 Posts

Okay, then lets go back to square one - It's the drive; As I stated before in THIS post - which you never replied too.

Also, I meant system restore as you fixing any mistakes you might have made during the process of trying to get your drive to work.

Choose your words wisely, as I'm only trying to help - If my help isn't appreciated then I'll leave and PM another moderator to try and help you.

NOW - if you'd be so kind as to follow the instructions in the above link, we can maybe get this thread solved and your problems solved. Thank you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am sorry about my english. I greatly appreciate your help. I thought you preferred me to do "diskmgmt.msc" and so i went ahead with that. I will do start>Run>Format and will let you know the result.

Once again, please don't get me wrong. Thanks for your help so far:4-cheers:!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.