· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am Running Windows XP

I have 3 internal Hard drives

C: 120 gb
backup 1: 500 gb
backup 2: 120GB

I am wanting to format my C: as it has become clogged with rubbish and everything is running slower than it should be. Along with various registery errors and other things.

My problem is that I need to Keep the data on the backup drives. As far as I am aware Windows will no longer be able to recognise these two drives when I format the C:

So how can I access these drives again after formatting without having to format them as well?!

Thanks for any help.

· TSF Team, Emeritus
54,432 Posts
Be sure to disconnect the two backup drives when you reinstall . . just to be sure you do not format the wrong one. Once you have XP reinstalled on C drive, you can connect the backup drives and windows will recognize them.

· TSF Team, Emeritus
57,145 Posts
Allo sirj1 :smile:

You can format your C: drive and re-install windows perfectly safely, without harm to your other drives.

You will very possibly get a question during the install, asking which drive you want to install to, just click the C: option.

If you want to be double really safe, open your PC and remove the power cables to the other drives, that will temporarily disable them so the installation won't see them.

Don't forget to connect them again, after Windows has installed successfully. There is a possibility that you will need to 're-letter' the drives afterwards, it depends on what they are at present.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the problem i had previosuly was not that I had accidentally formatted them. It was because Windows would not recognise them (ie. they wouldnt show up on my computer).

The way around this problem was to format and assign a drive letter to them. but I would like to keep my data so formatting isnt going to work

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.