Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I recently received a usb memory stick from a company trying to promote itself which was great news because I really need one at the office. I only problem is that when you plug it in, you have to watch a slide show presentation about this company before I can use the drive.

I have tried to format the stick but unsurprisingly I don’t have permission to do that. I was hoping that the clever people on here may know a way that I could bypass the permissions and format the stick because I am sick on this long winded slide show.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Try in formatting in Safe Mode. When open the drive can you view the offending files/folders?
You could also use a 3rd party formatting app like UBD orDBAN but be VERY careful when using either when selecting what drive to format!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well, I know alot of these drives have security and built-in encryption settings, BUT you can TRY to hijack the drive. What I mean is go into Safe mode and change around permissons on the drive, thus giving yourself (Administrator) permissions of full control. Now, you should be able to format without a problem.

Exact steps are something like...

Restart computer.
Keep pressing F8 until you see a menu about booting in Safe Mode.
Choose the option that just says "Safe Mode." (You're screwed if it's password protected)
Once in there, go to "My Computer" and look for your USB drive.
Right-Click the drive and choose either "properties" or something about "security".
Somewhere in that mess should be something about permissions / read/write control.

It's been awhile since I've done this, so the actual labels to look for are a little fuzzy in my memory, but perhaps you have enough to go on to accomplish your task.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.