Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post. Here's my problem. I got a new computer and transferred all my data to it. My old Dell computer kept having problems. Decided I would try to fix it for my daughter's use. Assumed I knew what I was doing and Formatted the hard drive. I was then planning to put the OS in the CD ROM drive and install it. Problem is I'm getting this msg: "Invalid System Disk Replace the disk and press any key" That's all I get now. I don't know how to make it recognize the CD. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I tried hitting F2 at various points, but doesn't activate and still get same error. What I see when I hit the Power button is this: First, says 32MB Diamond Viper Video Card..., a few seconds later says Bios Version... then comes the Dell screen, then blank screen, then the error msg. Any other help?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much! I've never been in this BIOS screen! The Del key worked. I'ts a Dimension XPS T450. I am installing and now at this setup question:
Setup will install XP on partition C:partional [FAT32] 8707MB <8698MB free>
It's asking me to pick one of the following, but I don't know what these choices mean and I didn't know I had a "partioned hard drive??"
Format the partition using the
NTFS file System (quick)
FAT file system (quick)
NTFS file system
FAT file system
Convert the partition to NTFS

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thank you. This is where I'm at now. While system was copying files, quite a few times (hundereds!) I got msgs: Cannot copy file or file not copied correctly, press ESC to skip file... which I did. Many were .sys and .dll files and others. When it finally finished and rebooted, I am now getting this error: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\system 32\hal.dll.

The XP CD I was copying from had never been opened. It's the one that came with my new computer to be used as a backup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you suggesting I buy a new RAM or just remove and put back the existing one?

Had had someone install additional RAM last year cuz system was runnng slow and constantly froze up and eventually defrag stopped working. Barely got my files copied over before it stopped loading Windows. Was only able to get to C prompt to Format. So the RAM could be causing me not to be able to copy all the files from the XP CD? P.S. It's Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, if that makes any difference?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
No I was not suggesting you buy new ram, used the link so you could see what the ram looked like. If you had ram added then there should 2 sticks of memory. (there is a lever on each end of the ram gently move these away from the end of the ram this will push the ram up and out of it's slot) remove one of the and try your install. If it still doesn't work swap the moduals and try again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, will try, sorry for the confusion -- your link with pic and msg has been very helpful. Thank you. It was Henry's post that made me wonder if changing the RAM meant I may need to buy another.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Success! This is what happened: I removed and then put back the 2 memory cards in the other's slot. Reran Windows setup from the CD. Setup loaded the files then ran format but twice I got another error msg saying it had to shut down to prevent damage to computer... So I left to go to church tonight. Prayed about it. Came home, prayed again, and started the process over. This time it went on to copy the files and all were copied successfully this time and Windows is installed! Thank you so much for all your help but my highest praise goes to my maker, Jesus! :)

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
You need to remove the added memory. Go back to the ram it had brand new out of the box. Sounds like the ram you added caused problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.